airtraffic

Author Topic: Sully's last flight  (Read 31234 times)

Offline obmaha

Sully's last flight
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:28:52 PM »
Heads up southern region; Sully Sullenberger retires from USAirways tomorrow. USAirways Flight 1167 from FLL to CLT, departs FLL at 1:05 EST. Make sure you wish him well for us.

Offline Dave_B

Re: Sully's last flight
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:29:38 AM »
Yeah, we need to get rid of old-timers like Sullenberger who have lost their abilities to handle an airplane. The skies will be a lot safer with Sully on the golf course. :roll:

Offline atsugi

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:47:30 AM »
Yeah, we need to get rid of old-timers like Sullenberger who have lost their abilities to handle an airplane. The skies will be a lot safer with Sully on the golf course. :roll:

Dave B you made my morning a good laugh is always welcome, thank you! but his legacy will help other pilots at least this time we won't be just learning from someone elses mistakes.

Offline VampyreGTX

• The Aspiring Pilot
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 01:36:39 PM »
wow, the KFLL, KJAX feeds seem a tad busy! :P

Offline kfllatc

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »
I locked out KFLL frequencies irrelevant to this event as the aircraft taxied. Congrats to the FLL ATC Controllers for showing and voicing their respect as Capt Sully taxied his A321. First, they taxied the aircraft around all traffic to the head of the line. Finally, as he made it short of the departure runway, one of the controllers read a farewell message. After departure the aircraft on freq joined in. Well done! 

Offline VampyreGTX

• The Aspiring Pilot
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 02:17:12 PM »
I locked out KFLL frequencies irrelevant to this event as the aircraft taxied. Congrats to the FLL ATC Controllers for showing and voicing their respect as Capt Sully taxied his A321. First, they taxied the aircraft around all traffic to the head of the line. Finally, as he made it short of the departure runway, one of the controllers read a farewell message. After departure the aircraft on freq joined in. Well done! 

Any recordings of this yet?   :-P

Offline cateyes_777

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 02:33:29 PM »
Congrats to Captain Sully and Best Wishes for his life of leisure.... well done!
I too am looking forward to the recording, hoping some one captured it!!

Offline VampyreGTX

• The Aspiring Pilot
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 02:42:32 PM »
Just a few minutes out from landing, the fire trucks are getting in position for the water streams from what I'm hearing on ATC.  :) hopefully some of the media are present for the landing.  I can't find anything anywhere, even chartlotte news sites.  There are helicopters near the airport that are waiting so I'm guessing it's media helicopters, but we'll see. Given how much he's captured the nations attention and respect, I'm surprised the national news networks have just a tiny blurb about his retirement.

Offline athaker

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 02:55:40 PM »

Offline delta092b

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 04:40:28 PM »
Here's a slideshow of the arrival, with the fire dept. water salute:

http://www.wcnc.com/news/slideshows/Sully-lands-final-flight-in-Charlotte-86257522.html?gallery=y&c=y&ref=%2F&img=0

Geez, you'd think he'd had enough of water :) They should have released a flock of Canada geese for him :)

Offline kfllatc

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 05:30:12 PM »
Congrats to Captain Sully and Best Wishes for his life of leisure.... well done!
I too am looking forward to the recording, hoping some one captured it!!

You may listen at http://www.liveatc.net/archive.php  

Look for KFLL Ground / Tower,  Mar 3, 2010,  1800Z-1830Z

First contact with Cactus 1167 around 10 minutes into the recording.  Last contact at around 18 minutes.

A shorter version is also available at http://www.liveatc.net/recordings.php
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:39:03 PM by kfllatc »

Offline jmx53

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 09:06:18 PM »
He may not be a commercial pilot any more, but we can look forward to seeing Captain Sullenberger on the air:

"May 19, 2011

Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger, the pilot behind the 2009 emergency landing in New York's Hudson River, is joining CBS News as aviation and safety expert."

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1305850766.html

Offline mhawke

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 12:47:22 PM »
You mean there is going to be an aviation expert who is actually qualified to carry that title on a news program....