Author Topic: ATC Listening to the next level  (Read 11648 times)

Offline UnitedFlyer737

ATC Listening to the next level
« on: May 15, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »
I myself love to listen to live ATC. However I always thought I could bring it to the next level. After a little of research, I have found out about an awesome website that can go great with listening to ATC! First, you get into the airport you would like to listen to, next you head to www.flightaware.com . Here, you can actually monitor & see flights via live radar! Once at the website, you can find the airport your listening to. Then you can actually track the aircraft that you hear from the live atc! It's a very cool and fun thing to do. I hope you all enjoy! :)

NOTE: I found out about this website by one of the links on the top of a Live ATC Chat
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:44:36 PM by UnitedFlyer737 »

Offline Marty Becker

Re: ATC Listening to the next level
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 08:13:16 AM »
It is not truely live. There can be up to a five minute delay.

http://flightaware.com/about/faq#howlive

Offline UnitedFlyer737

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 11:34:32 AM »
For the most part it is live though, if you watch closely you can see the aircraft move every few seconds.

Offline alphazulu

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 11:41:37 AM »
UnitedFlyer737, don't forget these sites..
Flightradar24.com -or- Planefinder.net

Offline Marty Becker

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »
For the most part it is live though, if you watch closely you can see the aircraft move every few seconds.

Movement of the aircraft does not mean live.  The data that flight aware uses comes from various sources and it takes time to get to the flight aware servers or, in the case of FAA data, it is physically delayed before the FAA release it.

The only true "live" data is ADS-B data and it is only a few seconds old; the time it takes for the signal from the aircraft to reach an ADS-B receiver and the fed out on the internet.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:48:06 PM by Flyingnut »

Offline UnitedFlyer737

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 01:51:58 AM »
Thanks for the other links Alpha, and yes I do understand what you mean now Flyingnut.