Author Topic: Plane crashes during takeoff at North Palm Beach airport  (Read 3204 times)

Offline KB4TEZ

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1566
Plane crashes during takeoff at North Palm Beach airport
« on: October 09, 2020, 06:36:04 AM »

NORTH PALM BEACH, Fla. (CBS 12) — A small plane crashed during takeoff at North Palm Beach County General Aviation Airport Thursday morning, the FAA said.The twin-engine Cessna 414 crashed in a small pond off the runway just after 11 a.m.

According to Palm Beach County Fire Rescue, seven people were on board the aircraft. Three adults and one child were transported to a local trauma center. The three other passengers were also taken to the hospital along with two bystanders who also suffered injuries.

All seven passengers were still on the plane when Fire Rescue arrived on the scene.Authorities said there was no fire but a small fuel leak.

The NTSB will be in charge of the investigation.

Offline KB4TEZ

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1566
Re: Plane crashes during takeoff at North Palm Beach airport**UPDATE**
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 12:53:22 PM »

PALM BEACH GARDENS – The pilot of a small plane that ran off of a runway Oct. 8 at North Palm Beach County General Aviation Airport felt a "slight shudder" as he accelerated, and then the plane's controls froze, a preliminary crash report says.It said Allen was in the front passenger seat as the seven-seat, 50-year-old twin-engine Cessna 414 left for Claxton, Georgia, for refueling, then home to the airport in Columbus, Indiana, about 40 miles south of Indianapolis.

It said the younger Allen "noted no irregularities when his father performed the engine run-up. His father then taxied onto the runway, checked the trim for takeoff, applied brakes, and advanced the throttles to full power.

"Once at full rpm, his father released the brakes and the airplane began its takeoff roll. Shortly into the takeoff roll, he felt a momentary 'slight shudder' which appeared to come from the controls."

The younger Allen told the investigator that as the plane continued down the runway, he looked out the window and was thinking the plane should have "rotated," or come off the ground, by now. He noted the plane was traveling 10 to 15 knots – 11 to 17 mph – beyond "blue line speed," the optimum speed for wheels-up, but the plane stayed on the runway even as it continued to accelerate.

A small plane crashed Thursday morning at North Palm Beach County General Aviation Airport, October87, 2020. (ALLEN EYESTONE/ THE PALM BEACH POST)
More:Election 2020: Older voters in Palm Beach County no longer exclusively Democratic bloc

"The airplane was running out of runway," the report said, and the younger Allen tried to pull back on the control yoke, but the controls would not move. He then pulled the throttles back to idle and "applied maximum braking."

At that moment, the younger Allen told the investigator, the plane likely was traveling between 120 and 130 knots, or 138 to 150 mph.

Family friend Christopher Markgraf, who lives in The Acreage, told The Palm Beach Post the day after the crash that, "about a third of the way down the runway, I said, 'Hey. They're in trouble.' They were going fast enough to fly, but they weren't coming up off the ground."

He said the plane's engines never lost power or even sputtered.

"I could see the plane just skipping along. It wanted to fly," Markgraf said. "I heard them kill the power and start trying to stop. There was not enough real estate."

A small plane crashed near the North County Airport near Palm Beach Gardens on Thursday, Oct. 8, 2020. All seven people on board sustained injuries along with two people who tried to rescue those aboard. Four of the nine were taken to a hospital as trauma patients.
More:Coronavirus: Palm Beach County jury trials face 'difficult' path as courts adapt to pandemic

The NTSB report said the plane came to rest upright in about 5 feet of water about 450 feet beyond the end of the runway.

It said the fuselage and cabin were mostly intact, but the right wing and engine had separated. The left wing and engine were attached, but part of the left wing was sheared off, the report said.

A final NTSB report could take months, or as long as one or two years.