airtraffic

Author Topic: SWA1380 left engine failure April 14th  (Read 6683 times)

Offline npereira

SWA1380 left engine failure April 14th
« on: April 17, 2018, 12:48:15 PM »
Hi all,

anyone has info on the recorded ATC of this engine failure that just happened?

Flight SWA1380 from LGA (laguardia) to DAL (Fortworth) landed at PHL with left engine failure, looks more like a disintergration:

Offline danmel

Re: SWA1380 left engine failure April 14th
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 02:15:32 PM »
Attached are 3 ATC files NY Center High Alt, PHL Approach and Tower.  I couldn't find low alt NY Center Modena 25 (135.45) which SWA was advised to switch in middle.
Also a screenshot showing times and altitudes from FlightAware  https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA1380/history/20180417/1430Z/KLGA/KPHL/tracklog

Offline danmel

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 02:28:46 PM »
At 16:54 in the Approach file, the pilot reports to ATC "they said there was a hole and someone went out".  The ATC repeated the line as a question but then said does not matter....   From the reports on CNN it looks like only the window was broken so I wouldn't think a person could fit through it - 'fog of war' thing (I hope).

Offline chapinb

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 03:49:05 PM »
Here's my first attempt at stitching audio together and removing extra calls (turn the volume down, it is a bit loud). I used the 3 clips uploaded by danmel.

Feedback is always welcome.

Offline dennisflysfast

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 03:58:57 PM »
I'm not trying to be critical, just an observation... but the pilot (female) sounds seriously dazed. The demand for no more channel switching, and "okay center" rather than her callsign - seems a lot of her radio protocol failed. Never declared an emergency (as far as the downloaded calls go).

thoughts?

Offline adanto6840

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 04:09:35 PM »
I thought she did a fantastic job to be honest.  They'd have had their O2 masks on, a TON of distraction going on in the cockpit, and meanwhile they need to (and did a great job of) stay focused on flying the airplane.  An airplane that I'm sure was not an easy one to fly in that "configuration" -- not only did they lose pressure and an engine, but they also knew that they had damage to the aircraft structure, which they undoubtedly felt in the controls.  Meanwhile, the engine was not only lost but also appears to be in such a state where it's going to be creating a very substantial amount of additional drag on the aircraft in a way that is just very far from normal.

I think a request for no more frequency changes is not asking for very much, and I think it makes total sense given the situation -- the crew wants to focus on their #1 priority, flying the aircraft, and I think that anything they can do to quickly & safely reduce crew workload in that situation is a very good thing to request.

Frankly I think the crew did a very good job given the situation, if anything I thought ATC comms were maybe a bit verbose but generally I think all parties did a good job from what little we know at this juncture.  Hats off to the crew in my opinion for what was, by all accounts thus far, a textbook handling of a pretty ugly situation to find oneself in.

Offline jedgar

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 04:33:52 PM »

thoughts?

I'm no pilot but given the engine flaaaammed, penetrated the fuselage, caused a heart attack and, apparently, a passenger had to be yanked back into the craft no, I don't think she sounded dazed. I presume communication + checklists + difficult flying + dealing with the cabin = pretty serious focus.

Offline TylerB24

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 04:47:07 PM »
Yah. There's a reason that the order is:
Aviate
Navigate
Communicate

It's the least important of the 3.

Offline npereira

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 06:13:21 PM »
Looks like 1 passenger died in this incident. Reports say the passenger had a portion of their body aspirated through the window hole.

RIP to the passenger.

This seems to be the second similar incident for SWA, uncontained engine failure as per preliminary statements from FAS officials.

Offline zerok

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 09:44:47 PM »
I'm not trying to be critical, just an observation... but the pilot (female) sounds seriously dazed. The demand for no more channel switching, and "okay center" rather than her callsign - seems a lot of her radio protocol failed. Never declared an emergency (as far as the downloaded calls go).

thoughts?

Seems she is more experienced than most & did a great job.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/tammie-jo-shults-pilot-southwest-flight-1380-engine-hero/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:46:29 PM by zerok »

Offline Anthonygeino

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 01:02:51 AM »
I thought she did a fantastic job to be honest.  They'd have had their O2 masks on, a TON of distraction going on in the cockpit, and meanwhile they need to (and did a great job of) stay focused on flying the airplane.  An airplane that I'm sure was not an easy one to fly in that "configuration" -- not only did they lose pressure and an engine, but they also knew that they had damage to the aircraft structure, which they undoubtedly felt in the controls.  Meanwhile, the engine was not only lost but also appears to be in such a state where it's going to be creating a very substantial amount of additional drag on the aircraft in a way that is just very far from normal.

I think a request for no more frequency changes is not asking for very much, and I think it makes total sense given the situation -- the crew wants to focus on their #1 priority, flying the aircraft, and I think that anything they can do to quickly & safely reduce crew workload in that situation is a very good thing to request.

Frankly I think the crew did a very good job given the situation, if anything I thought ATC comms were maybe a bit verbose but generally I think all parties did a good job from what little we know at this juncture.  Hats off to the crew in my opinion for what was, by all accounts thus far, a textbook handling of a pretty ugly situation to find oneself in.

Offline cageordie

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 04:22:21 AM »
Never mentioned loss of pressurization? They certainly didn't wait before they started descent. Both pilots sounded subdued, professional, no panic and they got the job done.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:25:00 AM by cageordie »

Offline KB4TEZ

Offline distancesprinter

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 11:15:41 AM »
I'm trying to transcribe the ATC.  There are a few sections at the end that I couldn't discern...  Can anybody understand?

Based on the following: https://soundcloud.com/themorningcall/swa1380-left-engine-failure-april-14th

@6:23

Injured passengers? Okay...  Are you-- is your airplane physically on fire?

No... it's not on fire but part of it's missing. They said there's a hole and somebody went out.

I'm sorry--you said there's a hole and somebody went out?

Southwest 1380, it doesn't matter, we'll work it out there. So the airport is just off to your right report in sight please.

In sight. Southwest 1380 airport in sight.

Southwest 1380 you're cleared visual approach 27R contact the tower on 118.5; Southwest 1380 I'm sorry cleared visual approach 27L 27L and tower's on 18.5.

We're going on 27L, switching tower, good day...

--

Southwest 1458 visual for 27R.

Southwest 1458 you can cancel your approach clearance and you should make a left turn heading on 180 and try to maintain 3000--the emergency needs to come in right now.

Okay climb-maintain 3000 heading 180, Southwest 1458.

Southwest 1458 contact approach on 128.4.

--

Southwest 1380 landing on uhh 27R--

Southwest 1380 you want to land on 27R?

27L, I'm sorry.

Southwest 1380 runway 27L cleared to land, wind 280 at 19. [UNCLEAR? "that's 25"]

[Copilot, indiscernible]

[Landing appears to be clipped]

Southwest 1380, right turn when you're able, you wanna stop wherever you need to assign.

Thank you we're going to stop right here by the, uhh, fire truck.  Thanks guys for the help.

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 11:29:39 AM »
Full transcript here. From up on cruise level down to evacuation.