Author Topic: Small plane crashes near Yorba Linda Golf Course, sets 2 houses ablaze  (Read 871 times)

Offline kb4tez

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 409
A small plane crashed near Yorba Linda Golf Course in Californian on Sunday afternoon. A local resident tweeted video of billowing black smoke with airplane parts strewn about the street.

“A loud boom was heard by people nearby, followed by ‘lots of smoke,’ ” according to Los Cerritos News. “Helicopters and sirens were also heard. Reports are the plane crashed into a home near Crestknoll Dr. near YL Golf Course.”

Los Cerritos also reported that the one woman who was home got out of the house uninjured.

The Orange County Fire Authority said two houses were in flames, according to KTLA.

Offline Rick108

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 119
Re: Small plane crashes near Yorba Linda Golf Course, sets 2 houses ablaze
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 09:49:24 AM »
I tried to find some audio for this yesterday, but unfortunately the KFUL tower feed says it has been down since 2/1, and the SoCal departure frequency for KFUL is not covered by LiveATC, so at that point I stopped looking.  So sad to hear this...

Offline kell490

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 15
Re: Small plane crashes near Yorba Linda Golf Course, sets 2 houses ablaze
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 07:14:15 PM »
I saw the video with the security camera recording the engine or engines winding to full RPM probably in a spiral dive. The weather was IMC looked like to me possible spatial disorientation by VFR pilot got an IFR clearance. I wanted to hear ATC see if that was the case 19 seconds into this video hear the clip from the security camera


Offline kb4tez

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 409
Re: Small plane crashes near Yorba Linda Golf Course, sets 2 houses ablaze
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 06:56:08 AM »

So far, investigators know the plane took off from Fullerton Municipal Airport around 1:35 p.m., made a left turn and flew for about 10 miles, reaching an altitude as high as 7,800 feet. By 1:45 p.m., the plane had crashed into a house, engulfing it in flames.

Offline kb4tez

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 409
Deadly plane crash on Super Bowl Sunday remains a mystery
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 01:54:35 PM »

Pastini took off from Fullerton Airport around 1:35 p.m. and flew about 10 miles, reaching as high as 7,800 feet, according to the National Transportation Safety Board, when witnesses saw his plane on fire, plummeting through the clouds and leaving a black trail of smoke, authorities said. Moments later, its tail and wings came off.

At one home, an engine alternator torpedoed through a first-floor window, flying through two rooms before landing in a bathroom. Fragments of exhaust pipe crashed through a second-floor window and melted into the carpet.

Neighbors suspect the second wing, carrying a fuel tank, is what erupted in flames at the home where the four people died. It was the one big piece of the plane they didn't see around the neighborhood.

Investigators with the Federal Aviation Administration and the NTSB combed through the wreckage Monday and collected pieces of the aircraft, which were being taken to a Phoenix storage facility. NTSB officials said the investigation could take 18 months.

Tom Anthony, director of the University of Southern California's Aviation Safety and Security Program, said video of the crash shows the "the aircraft broke up in air."

"We can see fire and black smoke, and that suggests a lot of fuel," he said.

Anthony said the aircraft's debris field also reflects that this was a midair breakup and that the wreckage essentially fell in two areas. He said such breakups tend to be caused by pilots putting undue stress on the plane's frame with high speeds, hard turns or drastic ascents.

Anthony said the age of the plane, a 1981 Cessna, is not as important as how it was maintained and flown over the years.

"It is important here for investigators to examine the maintenance and conditions it was kept," he said. "How it was operated in terms of altitudes, speeds and G loads. If you put a lot of heavy G loads on a plane over time, it will stress the fuselage."

Pastini himself is a bit of a mystery.

He was initially identified by California authorities as a retired Chicago police officer. But a spokeswoman for the Chicago Police Department said Pastini was never employed by the department and was carrying a Chicago police badge that had been missing since 1978.

Carrie Braun, spokeswoman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department, said the metal police star recovered from Pastini's body "appeared to be legitimate."

It's unclear how Pastini got the badge.

Braun said Pastini was born Jordan Isaacson and changed his name in the 1970s.

According to records, Pastini once owned a restaurant, Kim Lee's Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar, in Gardnerville, Nev., south of Carson City.

A 1997 article about youth programs in the Reno Gazette-Journal described Pastini, then-owner of Kim Lee's, as a retired Chicago police officer who had been, in his own words, on "both sides of the law, as criminal and cop." He described being born in a melting-pot neighborhood of Greeks and Italians.

"We got along really well with the Greeks, but we didn't get along with the Germans," Pastini told the newspaper. "When we got into a fight, we used our hands and sticks. Now, they use guns and knives."

At the time, he told the reporter that he was arrested on suspicion of grand theft when he was 14 and added: "I didn't have a social worker when I got out. We didn't have the bleeding heart, goody-two-shoes. We were bad kids and we were treated as such. We had discipline in those days."

Another article in the Reno Gazette-Journal described him as a 17-year Chicago Police Department veteran who was a detective sergeant when he left the force in 1986.

Articles described Pastini as being involved with youth programs and charity efforts, including those intended to help out the families of fallen police officers. A headline of one story read, "Ex-cop brings piece of Chicago with him."

A daughter, Julia Ackley of Torrance, in L.A.'s South Bay area, told the Los Angeles Times this week that her father was a veteran pilot who regularly flew from Nevada to visit her family.

On Wednesday, Ackley declined to talk to a reporter when asked to explain why her father had changed his name.