airtraffic

Author Topic: Pilot lands plane on Costa Mesa freeway  (Read 2560 times)

Offline KB4TEZ

Pilot lands plane on Costa Mesa freeway
« on: January 29, 2018, 09:05:04 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pilot-lands-plane-on-costa-mesa-freeway-i-saw-an-opening-on-the-highway-and-i-went-for-it-right-away/ar-BBIn7Nn?ocid=SL5IDHP

A small plane made an emergency landing on the 55 Freeway in Costa Mesa on Sunday evening after its engine failed and powerful winds prevented the pilot from getting to the nearest airport.
The pilot told KTLA that he and his friend were heading to Van Nuys from San Diego when the "engine quit" on them.

At that point, the pilot told the station, he had a choice: He could fly to John Wayne Airport or land on the beach.
With strong winds hampering his plan to get to the airport, he spied an opportunity near a freeway overpass.

“I saw an opening on the highway and I went for it right away," said the pilot, identified by KNBC-TV Channel 4 as Izzy Slod. "I had to make a last-minute, last-second judgment on whether or not we could make it over, and we didn’t have the airspeed to make it over, so I went under it."

Offline connerjadwin

Re: Pilot lands plane on Costa Mesa freeway
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 02:45:14 PM »
Anyone have a link to the SoCal frequency that he was on? I believe it was 128.1. The combined feed at KSNA was filled up with chatter on tower/ground.