airtraffic

Author Topic: Old one tuninter 1153  (Read 5202 times)

Offline Kmo2486

Old one tuninter 1153
« on: October 30, 2016, 06:14:00 AM »
I know this happened over 10 years ago but wanted to get people's opinions and if any pilots read this would be good to hear your views. Basically this flight was fitted with the wrong fuel gauges so it looked like there was more fuel than there was the pilots at the time didn't know this. They ran out of fuel part way into flight causing both engines to fail because the fuel gauges wrongly told them they had plenty of fuel left the repeatedly tried to restart engines. Obviously with no success. They landed in water near a boat to help save people's lives. Afterwards it was found that if the pilots had glided as far as they could they could of reached land and likely had no fatalities. There was 16 fatalities 23 survivors. So both captain and co pilot were jailed for manslauter over this. The augment being people had reinacted this flight in a simulator and managed to reach land instead of a water landing. Also the pilots were heard praying during the emergency.

Now I am not religious myself so would be first to criticise someone who caused deaths in order for them to pray. But there is an episode of air crash investigation about this story and watching that it seems the pilots did everything they could to reduce fatalities. Praying was done when important things had been done. The fact that the courts main argument to jail the pilots was because someone had done a better job in a simulator is disgusting. I have never flown a plane or been in a cockpit and have no idea about the first thing about flying a plane but I'm sure I or anyone could sit in a simulator and successfully get the best possible outcome of any emergency situation, eventually. Yes I would crash many times but a simulator is more like a video game than flying a real plane as in a simulator it doesn't matter what happens, it could nose dive into a house no one is going to die or be inured unlike if it happened on a real flight. Also the people doing this flight in simulator would of known restarting engines would be impossible so wouldn't of bothered trying. The pilots in the real situation didn't know it wouldn't be possible so kept trying. Even though I know nothing about flying a plane I know getting engines restarted would be better than having to glide as far as possible.

In any case where accidents happen with or without loss of life I don't think pilots should be punished in jail for them. Exceptions to this are if pilots deliberately do things to cause accidents, like drinking, drug taking, lying about something to fly planes they are not qualified, there are other things but you get the idea.