airtraffic

Author Topic: KLAS Controller Medical Issue  (Read 4281 times)

Offline weslyons

KLAS Controller Medical Issue
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:16:43 PM »
Long time lurker, first-time poster. 
A friend of mine brought these two archives KLAS recordings from yesterday (07NOV2018) to my attention  In the first recording you can hear the controller start to slur her speech.  As time goes on pilots start to have issues hearing her instructions and question if she is okay.  Second recording the situation continues to worsen, pilots ask if she is okay and ask if she has anyone with her.  At one point she stops responding to calls and soon after there is an open mic with her breathing and coughing.  Someone is heard asking if she is alright followed a message from a pilot that someone has called medical to check on her.  We then hear what I assume is a supervisor say he taking over but needs a few seconds to get settled in.

Hope she is okay and glad the pilots were aware enough to call for help.

Part 1 - http://archive-server.liveatc.net/klas/KLAS4-Twr-0119-Nov-08-2018-0700Z.mp3?fbclid=IwAR3f7PUAnwcTWawIqarn5b0WboApOgelDGImIhygIkR3oSm-sc3YybX1i2A

Part 2 - http://archive-server.liveatc.net/klas/KLAS4-Twr-0119-Nov-08-2018-0730Z.mp3?fbclid=IwAR2fPJmKUTxrtudKq8k4ynxBb4V9_4NLQSAIM8tBf5zabvd9XKGp9bhxsYA
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:19:22 PM by weslyons »

Offline Rick108

Re: KLAS Controller Medical Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 09:59:30 AM »
The links to the actual archive recordings will be no good after 30 days, so I took these two clips and combined them and removed most of the long gaps, plus some of the start where everything was normal.  The result is about 20 minutes long, but you can clearly hear the steady deterioration of her state.  Does anyone know what happened?  This is actually quite frightening to listen to, but I thought the pilots involved did an excellent job of trying to coordinate with each other and trying to keep something really bad from happening, as well as getting help for the controller.  I hope she's ok...

Hopefully the moderator will move this thread to the Audio Clips forum.

Offline weslyons

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 07:48:07 PM »
Thanks for doing that Rick108. 

Yeah really glad it all worked out as well as it did.  Wish her a quick recovery from whatever it was.

Offline KB4TEZ

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 12:48:45 PM »
UPDATE NOV. 12: The air traffic controller involved in last week's incident is no longer employed by the FAA, according to a government aviation official.