Author Topic: KAPA accident this morning  (Read 9104 times)

Offline carcareers

KAPA accident this morning
« on: July 18, 2015, 01:50:18 PM »
Can anyone get the audio of the single engine crash at Centennial Airport this morning? It was a single engine with no power and pancaked short of the runway. Thanks in advance and best to those on board. It happened 8 to 9 am.

Offline RonR

Re: KAPA accident this morning
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:00:57 AM »
Listening to the audio archives for the time frame you mentioned, I did not hear any reference to a plane accident.  Also, there was no mention of an accident in any of the local media.  Do you have any more information about this incident?

Ron

Offline carcareers

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 11:55:55 AM »
Ron, thanks for your reply. It happened yesterday morning between 8 and 10. It was a single engine no power and barely made the  fence before pancakeing  short of the runway. I saw the crash from less than 100 yards and saw the runway closed and all equipment fire/police roll out to the accident. I also can't find anything in the media which seems odd. It looked like a very hard impact and had to be very serious injuries. KAPA Centennial Colorado

Offline scotty81

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 12:38:03 PM »
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/07/18/2-onboard-small-plane-that-made-hard-landing-able-to-walk-away/

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kapa/KAPA-Jul-18-2015-1430Z.mp3

Don't hear the incident due to overlapping transmissions, the first sign is around 17:50 in the archive where aircraft are told to hold position. At 22:20 there's an explanation to inbound traffic of a katana off the runway.

Offline carcareers

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 01:35:26 PM »
Scotty, Thanks for finding that. I'm amazed they walked away but happy they did! They flew right over the road I was on and I actually had to stop on the road as it looked as if they were going to crash on it. Had no power and heard the thud as they hit.

Thanks again!

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 02:56:25 PM »
Thanks to all who shared this information.

Working on a video about this I got some doubts...

What was the Katana callsign/reg? If any of you know, please tell me.
Was it landing on 17L? they fell down just before the threshold, right?

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 02:59:21 PM »
I answer myself I guess.

Just heard a piece of it again and the ATC says to Rescue equipment "South of A4 on 17L is controlled for departures. And North of A4 on 17L including A1 is closed"

So, just a bit of the runway was closed just for the equipment go onto the crash site.  :wink: