Author Topic: Incident in 1989  (Read 8815 times)

Offline trichorse

Incident in 1989
« on: August 13, 2014, 02:17:36 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had any information on a plane, serving a flight from Baltimore to New Orleans, that was forced to make an emergency landing in Atlanta after suffering a pressurization problem and had to drop very rapidly to 10,000 feet.  The flight was cancled after it was determined that the plane could not be repaired, and several passengers decided to take a flight into Baton Rouge instead.  This second flight had to to contend with a hurricane hitting the area, and made a landing at Jackson to refuel, and to let passengers who decided to take a bus get off to do so.  This second flight made a landing at Baton Rouge, in a hurricane, at close to 2am, just prior to the airport closing.  The professionalism and courtesy showed by the crew on both flights, and the kindess of several passengers to a woman who was traveling with two young children (both under five and one of those an infant), impressed both me and my mother who were on both flights.

The information I was looking for was what caused the plane of the first flight to suffer the problem it did...no information was ever released that I recall, and it's something that's nipped my curiosity off and on through the years.  The pilot of the second flight might have been insane to attempt a landing in the conditions that existed at that time, but being successful I have to imagine he was a highly skilled and intuitive pilot who knew his plane like the back of his hand.

Offline trichorse

Re: Incident in 1989
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 05:31:49 PM »
the plane could not be repaired

I misspoke...plane could not be repaired in time for our flight to continue.