airtraffic

Author Topic: Door detaches from plane, lands on golf course.  (Read 11182 times)

Offline Dngnkeeper

Door detaches from plane, lands on golf course.
« on: May 24, 2012, 04:01:19 PM »
The main cabin door fell from the airplane and landed onto the golf course near the Westin Diplomat Hotel & Spa, Wednesday afternoon.

The incident occurred shortly after the jet took off from Opa-Locka Executive Airport.

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21007552267358/door-detaches-from-plane-lands-on-golf-course/#?hpt=us_bn8

Whuts_goingon

Re: Door detaches from plane, lands on golf course.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 04:21:33 PM »
That now is what we are afraid of, a door or an engine coming off an airplane and right in your livingroom.....

Wonder how the pax responded to this, holding tight to their chairs (afraid to be sucked out or whatsoever) ?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 04:29:07 PM by Tarmac »

Offline derekjackson

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 04:35:14 PM »
Here's the flight in question:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N207JB

I tried to listen to Opa Locka (Miami) departure but all I heard were a couple attempts by ATC to call the aircraft - I couldn't catch any messages regarding what happened.

Offline notaperfectpilot

• PPL
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 09:06:40 PM »
ouch, I have heard about engines dropping into houses along with the pilot landing in the front yard but that is a RARE thing....just like a door coming off and not hitting those two buildings!

Offline ZetaByte

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 08:34:36 PM »
Years ago, just before I started pilot training at Vance AFB in Oklahoma, they had a T38 accident of some note. The instructor and student were departing from the center runway, when one engine disintigrated. Shrapnel from the engine severed hydraulic lines from both systems, and the airplane began an uncommanded pitch up. The crew wisely ejected, and both survived with few injuries. Imagine, however, the surprise when an unlucky home-owner arrived home from work to discover one of the ejection seats in his living room, having fallen through the roof of his house. True story.