Author Topic: DL2913 Engine Failure  (Read 3863 times)

Offline crystalmountainskier

DL2913 Engine Failure
« on: September 25, 2020, 12:17:42 PM »
Hello, I was a passenger on Delta flight 2913 on Wednesday, September 23rd. We had an engine failure just before takeoff and had to return to Salt Lake City. We were met by fire trucks on the ground. Is anyone able to pull the ATC tapes from that time? I would be curious to hear what it sounded like. Thanks.

Offline diskus

Re: DL2913 Engine Failure
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 07:40:10 AM »

Online Rick108

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 08:38:17 AM »
I looked for the audio from this, but it seems all the KSLC feeds were either down, or recording silence, during this time.  They would be the 0100 and 0130 files from 09/24...

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 02:54:52 PM »
I looked for the audio from this, but it seems all the KSLC feeds were either down, or recording silence, during this time.  They would be the 0100 and 0130 files from 09/24...

That’s what I found too. Such a shame. Does anyone know if it is possible to get tapes directly from the FAA through FOIA or another means?

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 04:11:22 PM »
I am going to attempt a FOIA request.  Can someone help me with what frequencies I should ask for?  KSLC Ground, Departure and Approach?

Online Rick108

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 04:29:35 PM »
You want Tower, and then Departure/Approach (they are the same).  Maybe Ground too, but probably not as interesting in this case.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 12:25:46 PM »
I received the following response to my FOIA request:

“In order to continue processing your request, we will require additional information.  We are unable to determine what is being sought in your request because the records have not been reasonably described and therefore we will hold your request in a “perfecting status” through October 2, 2020.  When a FOIA request is held in a perfecting status, it will not be logged and it will not be assigned to be processed until we receive additional clarification.  If we do not hear back from you, we will cancel your request.

Critical information:

·       Need the Aircraft Registration Number, and
·       Confirm you only want audio re-recordings from the Salt Lake City Airport Traffic Control Tower.”

I’m a bit confused why I need to provide aircraft info as I am simply requesting audio of entire frequences from one time to another. But I will tell them N320NB operating as Delta 2913.

On the location question, are the Approach/Departure and Ground frequencies both located in the SLC tower? Would this flight have likely ever been handed off to the Salt Lake Center?

Online Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 01:38:14 PM »
You most likely will just need Tower audio and Approach/Departure which is from TRACON and not located with Tower.

Offline RonR

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 08:03:33 AM »
Hi guys, I just did a little math and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the correct time to look for in the audio archives would be the 2300-2330 time frame from Sep 23rd and not the time frame mentioned in previous posts.  Zulu time is only 6 hours ahead of MDT.

Not that it mattered anyway, I checked the audio archives for the SLC feeds that were up at that time, and there was nothing but silence recorded.

Ron

Offline RonR

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 01:44:33 PM »
As a follow up to my previous post, it turns out that the KSLC feeds are having some issues.  Unfortunately that's why only silence was recorded on Sep 23.  Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.

Ron