airtraffic

Author Topic: Close call over Hawaii  (Read 15239 times)

Offline ORD Don

Offline iskyfly

Re: Close call over Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:25:41 PM »
If TCAS tells you one thing and ATC tells you something contrary, what do you do?

Offline StuSEL

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »
If TCAS tells you one thing and ATC tells you something contrary, what do you do?
Pilots should always follow TCAS per the regs. I believe this was the result of an accident involving SkyGuide in Europe a number of years ago.

Offline iskyfly

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »
Thank you. If I remember correctly in the Uberlingen collision, both aircraft crew were given RA's but the TU-154 crew acted opposite to what TCAS said. Also, two years later the controller at the time was stabbed to death by a relative of the killed pax. :-(

Subsequent to your reply I found this;

http://www.eurocontrol.int/msa/gallery/content/public/documents/ACAS_Bulletins_10_disclaimer.pdf

Where an ATC avoiding instruction conflicts with a TCAS RA, flight crews have sometimes responded to the ATC instruction and have not correctly followed the RA. It must be remembered that, for aircraft in close proximity, the TCAS II knowledge of the vertical situation is much better than that of ATC. Every second, TCAS II assesses if there is a risk of collision.It immediately communicates the necessary avoidance manoeuvre to the flight crew by an aural alert and the RA display. Furthermore, if both aircraft are operating TCAS II, the RAs are coordinated. The overriding action must be to “Follow the RA” and then,if required, to report the RA to ATCas soon as possible.

I also like the part in there about using ICAO standard phraseology for reporting RA's. But I won't get into that here.  :-D

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 08:00:03 AM »
Thank you. If I remember correctly in the Uberlingen collision, both aircraft crew were given RA's but the TU-154 crew acted opposite to what TCAS said. Also, two years later the controller at the time was stabbed to death by a relative of the killed pax. :-(

Here is the story iskyfly and StuSEL reference:

Air-Crash-Investigation - Deadly Crossroads (Mid-Air-Collision)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:10:48 AM by joeyb747 »

Offline iskyfly

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 07:14:42 PM »
Thanks Joeyb747.