Aviation > Aviation Accidents/Incidents

Cessna 172 aborts takeoff at DSM: audio + cockpit video

(1/6) > >>

Chadan:
At the risk of being admonished for taking my hands from the controls (I can hear it already - "FLY THE PLANE, DUMMY!!!"), here's a clip of me trying to close a door at the start of my takeoff roll at DSM. This is related to ATC because I was able to record some of the audio communications via a handheld scanner next to the video camera:

SQWK7700:
Aborting the take off was the right thing to do. However,  aviate, navigate, communicate....and fix stuff like doors is a long way down the list. Those C152 door are notorious for not closing properly, had them open in flight a few times.

NoMad:

--- Quote from: Chadan on August 10, 2011, 03:14:53 PM ---At the risk of being admonished for taking my hands from the controls (I can hear it already - "FLY THE PLANE, DUMMY!!!")
--- End quote ---

Well its deserved admonishment.  You didn't just take your hands off the controls.  You were looking away from the runway leaning over the right seat futzing with the door with the plane moving down the runway at full power.  Then again with power reduced and still rolling.  I can't fathom why you would even put such a stupid move on the internet to begin with.

Chadan:
NoMad - It's called learning from other people's mistakes. I thought it was a worthwhile experience to share. I don't claim to be perfect but I also don't think my judgement was poor. Preach all you like - I'm fine with my actions.

BigSky:
Thank you for posting...it is helpful to review other people's unusual encounters.

Are you saying, though, that you wouldn't change how you handled it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version