airtraffic

Author Topic: Allegiant Air fuel emergency @ KFAR  (Read 13512 times)

Offline herrtodd

Allegiant Air fuel emergency @ KFAR
« on: July 28, 2015, 04:14:06 PM »
Story in the Tampa Bay Times yesterday about an Allgiant Air flight declaring an emergency due to low fuel.

The story includes audio crediting Live ATC, but I didn't see the clip in the Audio Clips here.

It certainly doesn't look like they were circling for very long according to their FlightAware track.

I didn't go looking for the conversation with Minneapolis Center, but I imagine it was a fun one...

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
Re: Allegiant Air fuel emergency @ KFAR
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 05:46:55 PM »
1 out of 2 for me

1- They had some kinda leak or loss of fuel. Or even wrong reading of the tanks.
2- They exagerrated the situation. No have 20 minutes?

Why do you declare fuel emergency when you didn't get vectors around, you didn't have to hold anywhere and I don't think the taxi over LAS was that long so they spent many pounds on ground... :? :? :?

I'll get this audio by recording that website and try to find Minnie audio and see how it went later :-D

Offline hb7

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 03:23:54 PM »

Offline w0x0f

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 10:44:32 PM »
This CBS article is rubbish.  The video is slightly better.  The pilot and controller did not "argue."  The controller did not "scold" the pilot. 

The pilot called while holding in center airspace to find out what was going on.  The controller explained what was going on and gave the pilot his options, one of which was to declare an emergency.  The controller added for informational purposes that Allegiant was given due notice of the airport closure.  The flight was an hour late and missed the window.

I was rather surprised to learn that there were 2 management pilots flying this aircraft.  One was the VP of Operations, who is an alleged advocate of operating with minimum fuel, and the other was Director of Flight Safety and Quality Assurance.  Expect some sort of shake up in the ranks.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/allegiant-air-execs-controls-flight-landed-low-fuel