Author Topic: 737 runs off the runway in Guyana  (Read 22513 times)

Offline UPRRSLO

Offline NoMad

Re: 737 runs off the runway in Guyana
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 03:59:45 PM »
I think we'll find that the flaps being retracted as pictured here might have a little something to do with this...

Offline UPRRSLO

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:33:47 AM »
How does the saying go? It's not one problem but multiple problems that make things go from bad to worse? Media is now reporting that the airport landing system was being updated.  http://www.ksby.com/news/update-guyana-landing-system-being-upgraded-at-time-crash/

Offline UPRRSLO

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 03:17:54 PM »
I was referring to the above post. Your reading into what I said. Hope this clears things up.

Offline UPRRSLO

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 04:11:01 AM »
Whatever!

Offline NoMad

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 07:16:18 AM »
I suppose it is also possible the crew retracted the flaps on the rollout to increase weight on the wheels and thereby increase braking effectiveness.  That would be pretty non-standard in a 73 but could explain why the flaps are up.  I just can't see how it is humanly possible to forget to the put the flaps down but it just seems so likely given the overrun.

Offline mikenftsmith

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 06:38:56 PM »
I suppose it is also possible the crew retracted the flaps on the rollout to increase weight on the wheels and thereby increase braking effectiveness.  That would be pretty non-standard in a 73 but could explain why the flaps are up.  I just can't see how it is humanly possible to forget to the put the flaps down but it just seems so likely given the overrun.

Distraction in the cockpit......Delta 1141 takeoff accident,DFW August 31 1988 NTSB concluded flaps and slats were not set before takeoff.

Offline NoMad

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 08:51:56 AM »
Distraction in the cockpit......Delta 1141 takeoff accident,DFW August 31 1988 NTSB concluded flaps and slats were not set before takeoff.

There is a big difference between takeoff and landing checklists regarding the flaps.  Takeoff it is only on the checklist once or twice.  The approach and landing checklists has setting flaps many many many times and then a final check of everything on final.  It is IMPOSSIBLE to forget or miss a step unless you skip the ENTIRE lengthy checklist.