airtraffic

Author Topic: Winnipeg Terminal (CYWG) getting no response from RAC  (Read 9213 times)

Offline YWGTower

Winnipeg Terminal (CYWG) getting no response from RAC
« on: September 15, 2012, 09:18:47 PM »
Hi all,

I've never heard this happen before. I was out spotting tonight and heard Winnipeg ATC calling multiple times but getting no response from this airplane. How often does this happen?

Thanks

757-rules

Re: Winnipeg Terminal (CYWG) getting no response from RAC
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:52:48 PM »
If you were spotting at the airport, I think there's a major antenna or weather interference problem, because your reception of the terminal isn't that good.....

Offline Claude Christie

Re: Winnipeg Terminal (CYWG) getting no response from RAC
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 08:15:19 AM »
The callsign of the aircraft was CFRAO a Cessna 152 based at St. Andrews, Manitoba.  Loss of comms is not unusual.  A pilot could dial in the wrong frequency, the radio could be turned down in error.  Also when flight training is conducted instructors have been known to turn down the radio when teaching a student pilot to cut out the extra radio chatter.  Not a good idea when ATC is trying to contact you!!  ATC are regularly losing contact with a few aircraft and a common procedure is to have another aircraft try to make contact on the last assigned ATC frequency.  If a pilot does not receive the frequency change from ATC they can fly out of the range of a frequency.  Another common procedure used is to call the aircraft on 121.5 and get the pilot to switch to the correct frequency.  This works well for airline flights who have the extra radio to monitor 121.5.