airtraffic

Author Topic: two clips of me from YSBK in VH-MHG  (Read 9612 times)

Offline hopskip

two clips of me from YSBK in VH-MHG
« on: May 09, 2006, 10:46:33 AM »
Ok so this clip is of me making my final landing during one of my solo flights back in 2003. The recording was made using a Net MD minidisk recorder with a 6.3mm plug adapter plugged into the 'spare' headset recepticle, and so you are hearing not just ATC comms, but anything I say loud enough to activate the intercom.

Discription:

After making a number of circuits around and around, I am making my last landing of the day. I have already asked on downwind if I could get the "north Side" of the airfield, which is to say runway 11L or 11C, which will shorten taxi time compared to 11R by a good 5 minutes. The tower told me to report turning base so that he could have a look at the traffic situation before he gave me clearance to land on 11L or 11C.

Another aircraft calls in before I do, and I wait for what I expect to be the entire exchange. that is to say, Request - Response... unfortunatley for me the other aircraft responds to the response, and I end up stepping on him, I let go of the transmit key, notice we were both transmitting at the same time, say "doh" to the intercom, and then go again with my report.

I get told to go to runway Centre, and am told of the other aircraft which is on a Left circuit for 11L, while I am on Right circuit for 11C...

A duchess then reports ready holding short of 11C, and they want to do run ups on the runway (Practice aborted takeoffs in both directions not becoming airborne), and they are told to hold short. Then the aircraft on opposite base to me is told about me, and he is cleared touch and go... he then requests something which I still can't make out, but the tower seems to know what he's on about and approves his request, before clearing me to land.

This recording was made September 2003, but I reicently refound it going through some things of mine.

Offline hopskip

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 11:01:35 AM »
This second clip is with my Instructor. Weather has a cloud ceiling at 1100ft, so we can't come inbound at the standard 1500ft over the inbound point of 2RN, so we are at 1000ft. The Instructor wants me to do some circuits after arrival, and tags that request on to the end of my inbound call. He starts saying something but ATC then give us an instruction to call another frequency when we cross a point called Warrick Farm, and to expect left circuits on runway 11L. I am a little disoriented because I didn't actually notice they were talking to me untill they mentioned the circuits, as I hadn't heard my callsign under my instructor talking, so I'm wracking my brain trying to remember the frequency they said, when, halfway through saying uuh-some frequency, I realise they'd obviously be handing me off to the circuits tower on 123.60. I then ask my instructor if I should tune that frequency now, and he suggests leaving it on the current freq untill we are required to contact the other one overhead warrick farm... this is then followed by a period of silence while we make our way to warrick farm for a minute or two, so the clip ends there...

Offline hopskip

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 11:09:50 AM »
Thought I might add this one too, Someone Violating CTA airspace.

YSBK is very close to the Sydney Controll zone C class, so there is a risk that if you extend upwind of 11 or downwind of 29 too long you will end up inside Sydney C class airspace... here is a VTC chart (from 2003, when the audio was taken) so you can see:

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/3222/sydvtc3td.jpg

Basically this pilot went a bit too far east on one of their legs, and ended up inside the Sydney CTR zone... Also, Sydney was using runway 07 for landings... which means there are 767's and such floating down within a mile of the boundary of the C class airspace with the GAAP zone, at around 2000ft on descent... and when you are flying 1500ft or similar in your Cessna... you don't want to be near those 767's :P