airtraffic

Author Topic: ASR approach into KJAN with ATC COMS - Video  (Read 14491 times)

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
ASR approach into KJAN with ATC COMS - Video
« on: November 11, 2008, 10:05:04 PM »
ASR approach into KJAN with ATC communications.  One thing for sure, every flight is different!

Watch how I handle a "non issuance" of a landing clearance.

You will hear me vocalizing my "thoughts" on flying the plane and what I am doing to "correct" the problems throughout the video.

P.S.

I deleted incorrect posting and moved it here for those that may think they may be seeing double  :-D

Offline englishpilot

Re: ASR approach into KJAN with ATC COMS - Video
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:27:19 AM »
Watch how I handle a "non issuance" of a landing clearance.

Not really seeing the significance of this comment, eitherway not sure why you waited so late, if another aircraft had started to transmit a long message what would you have done?  Gone around?

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 08:44:19 AM »
Not really seeing the significance of this comment, eitherway not sure why you waited so late, if another aircraft had started to transmit a long message what would you have done?  Gone around?

Yes, go around would have been the only option. 

Main point of bringing this out is that I was under the complete guidance of the controller, and it's very easy to forget something ON BOTH ENDS as simple 
as a landing clearance.  We both were doing something out of the norm AND the controller was handling other traffic at the same time.

I had just remembered at that point myself I had not been cleared to land (or for the option in this case).

So, I was hair trigger ready to go around.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 10:54:16 AM »
Main point of bringing this out is that I was under the complete guidance of the controller, and it's very easy to forget something ON BOTH ENDS as simple 
as a landing clearance.  We both were doing something out of the norm AND the controller was handling other traffic at the same time.

Early in my flying experiences I was on an ILS approach when both the controller and I had failed to consider the landing clearance.  After I landed and was rolling out the controller recognized the issue and gave me the "Bonanza, XXX, cleared to land."  It was then I realized what had happened to both of us, but I still chuckled at the outcome.

Whoops, there goes another NASA form (strictly written about my mistake, not the controllers).