Author Topic: Volga-Dnepr Antonov An-124 calls at Shannon en route to Chicago on 14/4  (Read 2558 times)

Offline GeoffSM1

Breaking Flight News‏ @FlightBreaking ·Tweeted on Apr 16 
Volga-Dnepr Airlines Antonov An-124 Reg. RA-82043 on its way from Hahn via Shannon and Gander to Chicago (4,381 miles in total) #VI9038 pic.twitter.com/UqTNML7QNF

Just under 2 minutes in to the  audio clip the pilot emphasises 5 minutes is required  in  the lineup  position on the runway before takeoff clearance. What would be a possible reason behind this request? Also, does anyone have any info/thoughts on why the aircraft would have to make 2 stops during what was a relatively short flight for an aircraft capable of much more? Perhaps the payload weight?

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:36:35 PM by GeoffSM1 »

Offline oktalist

Not 100% but I think she needs to run her engines at power with the brakes on for a few minutes to bring them up to their takeoff performance.

Wikipedia has a table showing how the range decreases as the payload weight increases.

Attached audio from her arrival and departure at O'Hare.

Offline GeoffSM1

Very many thanks oktalist, especially for the O'Hare audio clip which makes for very interesting listening. When I heard the pilot requesting that length of time on the runway at Shannon it crossed my mind that the requirement could be quite disruptive to the normal flow of traffic at a busy airport, particularly one with a single runway (London Gatwick for example). It is clear from your clip that there are other considerations which mean the AN-124 is not the easiest of aircraft to accommodate.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 03:30:45 PM by GeoffSM1 »

Offline Palal

The large number of stops is probably due to a very heavy load.