airtraffic

Author Topic: Various 9/11 Related Recordings  (Read 13678 times)

Offline ect76

• EGPH
Various 9/11 Related Recordings
« on: September 08, 2011, 03:59:53 PM »
Came across this linked on another forum approaching the 10th anniversary of 9/11.
It's a series of recordings from a mixture of sources. Many are ATC, some are phone conversations. All are listed in chronological order and can be played start to finish, with full transcripts.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/09/08/nyregion/911-tapes.html?smid=fb-nytimes&WT.mc_id=NY-SM-E-FB-SM-LIN-TNEL-090811-NYT-NA&WT.mc_ev=click

Never forget those who perished at the hands of terrorists.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
Re: Various 9/11 Related Recordings
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:01:17 PM »
Powerfull stuff. I still remember exactly where I was that day.  :cry:

Offline notaperfectpilot

• PPL
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 08:03:17 PM »
moving.... :cry: :cry:

Offline ORD Don

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 10:26:29 AM »

Very sad but very interesting.  Great post...

Offline bdcheung

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:15:23 PM »
"MAY.....DAY" from UAL93 was disturbing.  Very disturbing.  I can't imagine the struggle that was happening in the cockpit.

Offline raol

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Here is the full material. Very extensive!
http://www.rutgerslawreview.com/2011/a-new-type-of-war/

Offline tszarek

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 06:24:24 PM »
Not surprising the ATC guys seemed to have it together.  They are trained to handle stressful situations and employ concise telecommunications.

I was shocked how bad the NORAD NEADS came across, particularly the ID Techs.  Referring to a real world hijacking as "cool" and taking 15 words to get across information that should take 3 words.  I'm not criticizing the individuals because it was a stressful situation for anyone to handle, but I am critical of their training at the time.  I would have thought they would be better prepared.  Hopefully they are now.

Offline StuSEL

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 06:25:08 PM »
I was shocked how bad the NORAD NEADS came across, particularly the ID Techs.  Referring to a real world hijacking as "cool" and taking 15 words to get across information that should take 3 words.  I'm not criticizing the individuals because it was a stressful situation for anyone to handle, but I am critical of their training at the time.  I would have thought they would be better prepared.  Hopefully they are now.
I thought the same thing. I will give them this, though: It appears that there was a huge emphasis on drills and not enough emphasis on distinguishing between a drill and a real-world scenario. Especially when one of the ID Techs said, "I've never seen so many real world problems like this in a drill before," and when three ID Techs said "Is this a drill?" it is very clear that they didn't know how to distinguish between a drill and the real world. When the lady said "cool" to the idea of a hijacking, she clearly didn't know the gravity of the situation.