Author Topic: ILS approach KJAN with ATC communications - Video  (Read 9433 times)

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
ILS approach KJAN with ATC communications - Video
« on: February 21, 2009, 10:27:18 AM »
ILS approach KJAN with ATC communications - Video

Under VMC conditions figure to knock out some approaches.  As you can see from the ATC transmissions, it really does pay to make a face to face visit to your local controllers.  It really does make it much more "personal" over the radio putting a face to a name.

The second half of this video, to make things a little different, I talked out loud my scan and what instruments I was looking at from the middle marker to the inner marker beacons.  Be interesting to get feedback and see if anybody can help me improve on what I am doing.

My next video still to be compiled (will post under this thread) things got a little discombobulated on my next approach when a Southwest Airlines flight had to go around.  My approach clearance was canceled and the controller worked me in a line of high speed traffic and asked for best forward speed.  I did 110 knots down to the inner marker.  Always amazes me how the decks can be re-arranged in an orderly manner.. 

I would have loved to trade places for a go around in a commercial jet!  Not sure what the cause of the go around was for the  737 as winds were calm

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
Re: ILS approach KJAN with ATC communications - Video
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »
ATC Chess - Video with ATC COMS

My second ILS approach into KJAN on Friday

Video includes me being extended for sequencing, wake turbulence advisory for me, helicopter opposite direction approach request not approved for traffic flow considerations,

Southwest flight 1692 2 planes in front of me did a go around.  Approach asked if I would mind being re-sequenced, which I did not mind.

ILS approach was done with my "best forward" speed of 110 knots.  When I deployed the first notch of flaps over the inner marker is when I was safely inside the white arc.

Takes a long time to bleed off that energy!

Last approach is a VOR alpha back to KMBO.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 09:27:59 PM »
Under VMC conditions figure to knock out some approaches.  As you can see from the ATC transmissions, it really does pay to make a face to face visit to your local controllers.  It really does make it much more "personal" over the radio putting a face to a name.

Speaking of face to face, I had a very nice Austrian lady sitting next to me at work today for a while.  She flies a Cessna out of MBO and she said she's flown with you several times.  In fact I actually recognized her voice from one of your videos I think.

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
Speaking of face to face, I had a very nice Austrian lady sitting next to me at work today for a while.  She flies a Cessna out of MBO and she said she's flown with you several times.  In fact I actually recognized her voice from one of your videos I think.

Your voice recognition is good!

Foreign accent you got correct, but wrong continent  :-D  My flight instructor as part of his ground school arrainges a "field trip" to center thus you getting invaded by Mississippians.

Maryke is from Belgium and yes, she was the one with the transponder problems in her airplane 4AE.

If weather calms down tomorrow, I will be in your airspace as Grace Flight 43L (GRC43L). 

50 / 50 right now and will decide tomorrow morning.  First leg pilot picking up patient from KMOB and coming to KMBO and I am taking him up to KLIT.  something called snow kinda putting a kink into things and also predicted 55 mph wind gusts for the first pilot at KMOB.

Stay warm up there!!!!  Heard your ground is white  8-) with some powder!