Author Topic: US Airways 544 Declares Emergency Lands at Dyess AFB with 6200lbs of fuel.  (Read 12059 times)

Offline numbthumbs

• My YouTube Site
Best Quote of the Audio - 6:22 "Down at the bottom of the stairs there is a kid with a gun" :)

http://airnation.net/2012/07/22/us-airways-jet-fuel-emergency-dyess/

A US Airways flight from Phoenix (PHX) to Dallas Ft. Worth (DFW) last Friday 20 Jul 2012 had to divert to Dyess Air Force Base, Texas when the plane ran low on fuel.

US Airways Flight 544 took off from Phoenix at 12:42 PM and was appproaching DFW when flights were delayed due to bad weather. The Airbus A319 was circling in a hold until their fuel ran low and was forced to land at Dyess Air Force Base near Abilene at 5:00 PM.

The plane refueled and continued on the DFW at 7:30 PM.

KABI (Abilene Regional Airport) Runway 17R/35L

Dimensions:    7202 x 150 ft. / 2195 x 46 m
Surface:    asphalt/grooved, in good condition
Weight bearing capacity:    
Single wheel:    85.0
Double wheel:    160.0
Double tandem:    160.0

KDYS (Dyess AFB) Runway 16/34

Dimensions:    13500 x 300 ft. / 4115 x 91 m
Surface:    PEM
Weight bearing capacity:    
PCN 64 /R/B/W/T
Single wheel:    155.0
Double wheel:    250.0
Double tandem:    245.0
Dual double tandem:    840.0

Offline numbthumbs

• My YouTube Site
Wow someone just pointed out this link to me. Thanks for sharing this site!

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4532c038&opt=0

6K fuel to me seems mighty low, but I am used to big bombers. Is that and extremely low number for the A319?

Offline bassplayer87

That has to be a pants-changing moment. Diversion due to low fuel is one thing, but diverting to a nuclear bomber base? Oh boy...

Offline SASD209

That has to be a pants-changing moment. Diversion due to low fuel is one thing, but diverting to a nuclear bomber base? Oh boy...

The B-1's have not been nuclear-certified since 1995. They no longer carry atomic weapons and operate only in the conventional role. The only USAF aircraft now used for strategic nuclear missions are the B-2 and B-52, neither of which is based at Dyess. FYI.

Offline Steelrman

Good clip, but hearing only one side of the dialogue (controller) for the first 2 minutes was a little confusing.