Author Topic: United 15 birds and snow  (Read 9115 times)

Offline retro11

United 15 birds and snow
« on: December 27, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »
as the snow moved into new york a couple of birds out for a boxing day stroll were not going to have an east coast blizzard spoil their day, unlike the pax on united 15

alltheway

Re: United 15 birds and snow
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:52:52 AM »
 :-P Crossing the centerline is just to put pressure on Mrs. bird for their next nesting season...  nice clip, I could hear the girly pilot learning from it.....

Offline dska22

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 02:38:45 PM »
Heard this the other night.  The entire 5-10 minute exchange was quite funny.  Thx for the up!

Offline Eric M

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 08:15:15 PM »
Sigh... I've tried all day, but I can't let this go. I really resent the use of "girly pilot." This is not representative of the high level of discourse I've come to appreciate here.

I know a few female pilots, all of whom are oustanding and completely professional, as was the captain in this recording. I don't think "girly pilot" is how one ought to reference a PIC.

Okay, off the soapbox I go. Happy holidays.

Offline Fred_Garvin

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 02:15:04 AM »
Ditto

I have really come to enjoy the New York  area accents when they get going.

alltheway

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 04:11:01 AM »
Sigh... I've tried all day, but I can't let this go. I really resent the use of "girly pilot." This is not representative of the high level of discourse I've come to appreciate here.

Has nothing to do with skills, though from 8 to 88 they're girly's

Offline Robert Larson

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »
Sounded to me like the "girly pilot" wasn't learning as much as she was schooling the controller (a bit). She gave a good pirep and reminded operations that they might want to turn the lights up and consider plowing their runway.

TC

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 06:56:10 PM »
Robert, could you please explain to me what you found in that exchange that constituted "schooling" the controller?

Offline Robert Larson

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 02:38:46 PM »
As I said, it was just a bit of schooling. :-). The controller seemed to not understand the current runway conditions. She helped him out by giving a pirep. It was all very professional, I thought. Certainly nothing here to justify the misogyny of the original post.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:41:30 PM by Robert Larson »

TC

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 01:24:28 AM »
A controller cannot be on the field and see runway conditions firsthand; we get information from airport operators and pilots.  It was a blizzard.  Conditions change rapidly.  Sorry, but I fail to see how giving a pirep constitutes "schooling" someone, even "a bit".  Am I "schooling" a pilot when I give a wind check?