Author Topic: UAL 27 Fire in the Cockpit  (Read 10694 times)

Offline VampyreGTX

• The Aspiring Pilot
UAL 27 Fire in the Cockpit
« on: May 18, 2010, 04:49:34 PM »
Story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/17/cockpit-fire-diverts-plan_n_578770.html

Flight Track info:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL27/history/20100517/0101Z/KJFK/KIAD

UAL 27, a 757 had a fire in the cockpit and there is supposedly video and pictures of the fire.  Pictures are slowly coming out, but none yet of the actual fire.  I've cut down the audio considerably; however, missing the audio from Washington Center and the second Potomac approach frequency.  Have the initial emergency declaration on NY Center, initial contact with Potomac Approach and IAD Tower.  You get a lot of feedback at the beginning that I assume is from the cockpit of UAL27.  The last burst of feedback prior to UAL27 declaring the emergency @16 seconds in, you can actually hear the fire extinguisher being used which is was an interesting catch on the audio.

Initially ATC diverts them to Middleton Airport, the nearest that they can land at.  Eventually, once the fire's out, UAL27 requests to go Dulles.   

Offline dska22

Re: UAL 27 Fire in the Cockpit
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 05:43:26 PM »
I wonder how the pilot could be so sure that emergency equipment was not needed and the fire was under control unless he saw exactly what caused it.  If he did see what caused the fire, I wonder if either pilot had a role in it..  Interesting.

Offline VampyreGTX

• The Aspiring Pilot
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:09:42 AM »
Before we start blaming the pilots, if you read the whole huffington post article, it's a known issue in the 757 window heating system (among other Boeing aircraft, but the airlines are fighting a mandatory AD to replace it, right now it's just a recommendation.)  The comments in the article about the cockpit windows being cracked as well leads to the fact that it was most likely the window heating system.  As long as they cut the power to the heater, put the actual fire out, then there is no continuing issue. 

Also, if you listen he did eventually request the equipment but that he would taxi off the runway.  I actually think the pilot did a good job with his requests which kept the runway open after he landed instead of tying it it for who knows how long before the FD cleared that plane and they towed it to the gate. 

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:37:14 AM »
VERY NICE CLIP!! WELL DONE!!  8-)

Avherald:

http://avherald.com/h?article=42b9ab97&opt=0

Here is a pic of the bird involved, Boeing 757-222 N510UA (cn 24780/290) Premium Service (p.s.) with winglets.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:40:28 AM by joeyb747 »

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 04:03:40 PM »
Great Catch!