Author Topic: UA1475 bird strike at DEN  (Read 11819 times)

Offline derekjackson

UA1475 bird strike at DEN
« on: July 31, 2012, 08:56:30 PM »
United 1475, Boeing 737-900 struck a bird approaching Denver which damaged the nose and took out some airspeed indicators.

Photo: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/07/united-airlines-flight-strikes-bird-on-descent-to-denver/

There is a lot missing from the audio because of all the frequencies on the one feed combined with one frequency not available. I don't have anything after the landing - if anyone finds anything else that would be great.

Offline mk223

Re: UA1475 bird strike at DEN
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »
Thanks for getting this up. That bird certainly did a number to take out the pitot tubes.

Offline datainmotion

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:56:09 AM »
United 1475, Boeing 737-900 struck a bird approaching Denver which damaged the nose and took out some airspeed indicators.

Photo: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/07/united-airlines-flight-strikes-bird-on-descent-to-denver/

There is a lot missing from the audio because of all the frequencies on the one feed combined with one frequency not available. I don't have anything after the landing - if anyone finds anything else that would be great.

Derek - thanks for putting that together - definately a lot easier to listen to!
As for the crowded feeds, another feeder and I may collaborate on these in the future for better coverage and less congestion.
Also, which frequency was not available - one that should be on the App/Dep feed or one just on a different feed?

Thanks,

Mike
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 02:18:10 AM by datainmotion »

Offline derekjackson

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 10:14:39 AM »
133.62 is the frequency that is not available (I just skipped ahead to Denver tower at that point).

Offline datainmotion

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 05:10:28 PM »
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I added it (Approach - West Low) to the Pro-2006, when it was feeding App/Dep, but looks like I never transferred it over when I moved that feed to the Icom.

It's back on the App/Dep feed now.  :-D

Offline denverpilot

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 02:31:09 AM »
I'm "the other feeder" and data and I did get to chat briefly tonight on the phone. Unfortunately I had a conference call in 8 minutes when he called and then we got cut off. Ahh, the joys of modern cell phones. ;)

I just happened to snag a sweet deal on eBay (happens once in a blue moon, I suppose) on a  BC780XLT last night, minutes after someone posted it, so one piece of the new gear is headed this way by slow standard shipping...

Next step is to figure out a new feed computer.  The freebie machine running Linux upstairs has made enough noise and heat to last a lifetime.

And whether or not to mess with a multi-port sound card for future expansion...

Etc. Etc. Etc.

It won't be "tomorrow" but will help out with DEN stuff where I can.  Will see what works best from my location near KAPA.

Offline notaperfectpilot

• PPL
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 06:19:08 AM »
Avherald article with full information...

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=45395ad3&opt=0