airtraffic

Author Topic: UA 757 turns back over Atlantic  (Read 17463 times)

Offline englishpilot

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: UA 757 turns back over Atlantic
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Reviewed what there is at CYYT but only hearing UAL130 after they were on the ground, and at that point had "terminated the emergency."  Not sure who they were talking to when they declared the emergency...they may have been on HF so still some archives to search.

Offline Rob K

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 03:12:29 PM »
According to airliners.net :

UAL130, Boeing 757-200 was enroute from Washington (KIAD) to London (EGLL), routing 49N040W at 03:04Z, at 39,000 ft., NAT Track V. At 03:24Z, the flight declared an emergency (engine out) and descended to 28,000 ft. The flight received clearance to St. John’s (CYYT) and landed safely at 05:15Z.

It was on 5616 but HF conditions are terrible.  At 0323 in the archive Shanwick relays a message to Gander that the flight has declared an emergency with an engine out which Gander acknowledges and let's Shanwick deal with it as they can't hear him.  There's a little bit more chatter at 0326-0327 but too weak to make out.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 03:14:30 PM »
Yeah I just finished reviewing the same recording.  The coronal mass ejection effects were still being felt on HF.

Offline Rob K

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 09:47:37 PM »
Yeah I just finished reviewing the same recording.  The coronal mass ejection effects were still being felt on HF.

HF conditions on US/Canada/Pacific part of the world have been absolutely horrendous for the past couple of weeks now and aren't getting any better.  I've temporarily given up listening til it improves. :-(

Offline tyketto

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 02:36:09 AM »

HF conditions on US/Canada/Pacific part of the world have been absolutely horrendous for the past couple of weeks now and aren't getting any better.  I've temporarily given up listening til it improves. :-(

The solar flare that happened over the weekend is mainly the cause of it. It will take a bit to pass..

BL.

Offline idriveplanes

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 04:01:26 PM »
I thought Aurora events helped the transmission of certain radio waves, mostly the 10-20m band (talking HAM Radio stuff), but I didn't realize aviation HF would be hampered by it?  Looking for some input on that.  I have a receiver and loved it whenever there were solar flares last summer, as I would hear stuff direct from Japan, Cuba, and somewhere in Europe on certain nights, and I don't believe there were repeaters involved.  I live in Alberta, Canada.

Offline idriveplanes

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 04:02:22 PM »
Sorry to take the thread off the original topic.