Author Topic: TWA 800, per request  (Read 57778 times)

Offline tyketto

TWA 800, per request
« on: September 10, 2010, 01:48:37 AM »

(Mods, if you feel this is in bad taste, feel free to delete.)

Okay.. Since there seems to be a number of people requesting it, I've gone through my set of CDs and pulled this out.

This here is the full audio of TWA800, from the pilot calling into ZBW Center, and before, during, and after.. well. you know. This is in WAV format (all that was available at the time), and I haven't tried to convert it to mp3 format.

Please use this for learning purposes only; with that, I also through in the transcript of the event.

One last thing.. unless your heart is made of stone, I would suggest listening to this prior to reading the September 2010 edition of Airways Magazine. When you see the topics in that edition, you'll know why.

Enjoy.

BL.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 01:50:29 AM by tyketto »

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
Re: TWA 800, per request
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 09:35:27 PM »
Very powerful...

It's hard to believe it's been 14 years since that tragic night...

The right words evade me at this moment...  :cry:

God bless the passengers and crew of TWA 800, Boeing 747-131 N93119 (cn 20083/153).

alltheway

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »
I still cannot believe the cause isn't revealed by now. I understand that right after the plane broke up no more information was recorded on the cvr and fdr, but after the Qantas incident someone might have a clue, although the witness reports say they saw a streak of light going towards the plane. I also read somewhere the captain said the #4 engine used a crazy amount of fuel.

Offline glencar

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 09:25:21 PM »
I worked that night & remember the chilling words "We lost a TWA." RIP...

Offline speedotann

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 12:42:28 PM »
The Captain lived on the next street over from me!

Offline beachdarryl0202

• KHYI Feeder
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »
Chilling & haunting.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 09:40:20 PM »
For those who may not be familiar with the loss of TWA 800...lots of info on the disaster here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 09:52:13 PM »
I still cannot believe the cause isn't revealed by now.

"3.2 Probable Cause

The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of
the TWA flight 800 accident was an explosion of the center wing fuel tank (CWT),
resulting from ignition of the flammable fuel/air mixture in the tank. The source of
ignition energy for the explosion could not be determined with certainty, but, of the
sources evaluated by the investigation, the most likely was a short circuit outside of the
CWT that allowed excessive voltage to enter it through electrical wiring associated with
the fuel quantity indication system.

Contributing factors to the accident were the design and certification concept that
fuel tank explosions could be prevented solely by precluding all ignition sources and the
design and certification of the Boeing 747 with heat sources located beneath the CWT
with no means to reduce the heat transferred into the CWT or to render the fuel vapor in
the tank nonflammable."

http://www.ntsb.gov/Publictn/2000/AAR0003.pdf

Offline beachdarryl0202

• KHYI Feeder
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 10:46:56 PM »

"3.2 Probable Cause

the TWA flight 800 accident was an explosion of the center wing fuel tank (CWT),
resulting from ignition of the flammable fuel/air mixture in the tank. The source of
ignition energy for the explosion could not be determined with certainty, but, of the
sources evaluated by the investigation, the most likely was a short circuit outside of the
CWT that allowed excessive voltage to enter it through electrical wiring associated with

Contributing factors to the accident were the design and certification concept that
fuel tank explosions could be prevented solely by precluding all ignition sources and the
design and certification of the Boeing 747 with heat sources located beneath the CWT
with no means to reduce the heat transferred into the CWT or to render the fuel vapor in
the tank nonflammable."

The NTSB official report is regarded as highly dubious by many. There were over 183 possible eyewitnesses and a lot of their accounts got lost in translation through the government. Here's a pretty neat website run by independent experts and researchers for those of you who just can't go with the above. http://twa800.com/

The best I can say without stirring debate is form your own opinion.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 10:51:32 PM by beachdarryl0202 »

Offline completelydeck

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 11:06:16 PM »

"3.2 Probable Cause

the tank nonflammable."

Not only what beachdarryl said, but probable cause is not the same as factual cause.

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 11:07:33 PM »

The best I can say without stirring debate is form your own opinion.

That was my aim...I didn't want to start a war over this. Yes there are several possibilities, however most of them were dismissed.

The truth is we will probably never have a definitive answer as to what happened that tragic evening.

There is a link on the Wiki page I linked to above that goes into the alternative theories:  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800_alternative_theories

But I do agree with you, form your own opinion...there is a lot of information on these websites to soak in.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 11:12:38 PM by joeyb747 »

Offline SASD209

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 02:20:58 AM »
OP:

Posting this was not in any way in bad taste, IMO. I think we are all responsible and adult aviation enthusiasts and can appreciate the spirit and the meaning for your post. Many thanks, and RIP for all those aboard TWA 800.

SASD209

alltheway

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 05:00:33 AM »
I believe it really would help if there was some sort of Final rule-out report which excludes some of the theories, like missiles. The NAVY knows if they were launching any and if they are missing one!
Also if the picture that was made public is a real evidence. Those enhanced pictures with insets do show something, but are they real? Can a program enhance photo's like that? (mine sure can't, tried 5 programs, but nope)

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 07:09:28 AM »
I believe it really would help if there was some sort of Final rule-out report which excludes some of the theories, like missiles. The NAVY knows if they were launching any and if they are missing one!

Section 2 of the NTSB report does touch on that...examines several theories, then explains why they are not possible. Most people don't accept the NTSB report findings as final or even factual for that matter...again, form your own opinion. But one thing that is known for sure is the US Navy DID NOT fire off any missiles that evening.

Also check out the link on alternative theories I linked to above...pretty good stuff on that page too.

Offline beachdarryl0202

• KHYI Feeder
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 12:01:05 PM »

That's one way of looking at it, but a lot of those theories don't stem from our operations which means they can't really be debunked. However, a lesser heard theory I've come across is that it could possibly have been an exercise by our boys gone horribly wrong, and to save government face they would cover up any mention of it.

Haha there's so many ideas and twists on this one, I don't think we'll ever know the full truth.  :lol:

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 10:26:52 PM »
However, a lesser heard theory I've come across is that it could possibly have been an exercise by our boys gone horribly wrong, and to save government face they would cover up any mention of it.

Are you referring to the U.S. Navy? The Navy's nearest ship was 75 miles away I believe when 800 went down. Also, as I stated in my post above, the Navy DID NOT fire off any missiles that night. That is one fact that is known to be true...

The first four minutes of this vid debunk several of the theories:

All three parts are pretty good.

alltheway

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 07:50:48 AM »
Just my thought, but reading the #4 engine using a crazy amount of fuel, could have exploded, damaging the wing it is attached to, causing (in the blast) the wing to sweep backwards, where the entire wing crumbles the wingbox inbound from behind, then as I see the pictures in the media I see the airplane went into an excessive roll and ended upsidedown, during this excessive roll the front section of the airplane was detached by torque and went down, with the red part in the NTSB drawings cluttered of into smaller pieces.

What I would like to know is how (in what state) and if they have found the #4 engine itself.
All of the rest is just impact forces.

Again just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:52:57 AM by alltheway »

Offline iskyfly

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 10:19:54 AM »
could the mods please move this to the discussion forum?

alltheway

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 07:57:31 PM »

:? :? :? Now I wonder why? The first page has the audioclip, so it belongs here at the audio forum ?   :? :? :?

Offline aa7ya

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 01:37:43 AM »

(Mods, if you feel this is in bad taste, feel free to delete.)

Okay.. Since there seems to be a number of people requesting it, I've gone through my set of CDs and pulled this out.

This here is the full audio of TWA800, from the pilot calling into ZBW Center, and before, during, and after.. well. you know. This is in WAV format (all that was available at the time), and I haven't tried to convert it to mp3 format.

Please use this for learning purposes only; with that, I also through in the transcript of the event.

One last thing.. unless your heart is made of stone, I would suggest listening to this prior to reading the September 2010 edition of Airways Magazine. When you see the topics in that edition, you'll know why.

Enjoy.

BL.

I can easily convert the .wav to an .mp3 file right now.

Offline aa7ya

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 02:46:10 AM »
Attached is the .mp3 version of the .wav file.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 04:16:31 AM »

:? :? :? Now I wonder why? The first page has the audioclip, so it belongs here at the audio forum ?   :? :? :?

I am the moderator, and these discussions belong with the clip.

alltheway

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 06:33:34 PM »

I am the moderator, and these discussions belong with the clip.

Good point  :lol:

But it leaves me with the question if they have found the #4 engine and what about that crazy fuelflow....
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 06:37:36 PM by alltheway »

Offline kenadams

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 11:30:43 PM »

MLB's piece in that number of Airways was very moving. It prompted me to buy his book (Pushing Leaves toward the Sun), a terrific novel about survival's guilt.

Offline Reptyle

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 02:00:42 AM »
Years ago I found a longer copy of the ATC communications, with extra audio before and after.  It had the same audio noise as this recording, but I ran a couple of noise filters on it so it's a lot cleaner.

Attached is that MP3, as well as the original file (in .ra format; that's how I found it) if anyone's interested.

I won't say "enjoy the recording" because that's the wrong word, but I hope others get as much out of it as I do.