Author Topic: Tuskar Rock Air Disaster 1968  (Read 13363 times)

Offline SeanC3

Tuskar Rock Air Disaster 1968
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »
Not exactly a link to an ATC clip, but rather an interesting half hour report on a crash involving an Aer Lingus flight which continues to cause disagreement on this side of the world to this day.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/investigate/tuskar.html#

Offline bogman

Re: Tuskar Rock Air Disaster 1968
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 11:32:35 PM »
I've seen documentaries about this ,it pops up every now and again what I cannot remember was the flight box ever located or was there one back then.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Which theory do you go with?

Offline ect76

• EGPH
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 11:37:14 PM »
As you say, very interesting and some interesting theories thrown up if you listen right through!

Many thanks for posting!

Bogman:  As far as I know there was no CVR or FDR on this flight. I'm still not decided which theory I go with -  :roll:The "Echo India Alpha Oscar Mike with you" tends to make me believe there may have been another plane there, But I don't know! I'm undecided!

Regards
Ewan.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:41:57 PM by ect76 »

Offline SeanC3

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 06:26:57 PM »
I've seen documentaries about this ,it pops up every now and again what I cannot remember was the flight box ever located or was there one back then.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Which theory do you go with?

Well, as regards a flight box, I'm not sure if there was one at all. To the best of my knowledge CVRs were only made mandatory in British airspace in 1972, so you can see why the facts surrounding the crash are so vague. We'll probably never know what exactly happened on that day, but this radio investigation certainly gives weight to the theory of another aircraft being involved....

Offline bogman

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 08:12:24 PM »

quote]
We'll probably never know what exactly happened on that day, but this radio investigation certainly gives weight to the theory of another aircraft being involved....

That is true ,after all these years and the "Experts" were convinced that it was a missile.

Would ATC have any records of this on radar?

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 04:12:02 AM »
I don't know what "state of the art" 1968 radar technology was, but I don't expect that radar was routinely recorded in that time. Either the technology was unavailable or too expensive for routine use. (First professional video recorders cane in 1956 @ $75.000)
We will have to live with what information that is left... and take "we will never know" as an answer.

Offline SeanC3

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 02:39:51 PM »
Not sure if this has been highlighted on here before, but just when talking of state-of-the-art technology of times past, this upload on youtube illustrates what happened in the age before CVR became commonplace.

See from the 4 min 18 sec mark, continuing on into part 2,