Author Topic: engine failure and crash on downwind in bankstown, australia - video and audio  (Read 17032 times)

Offline joshgammon

scary to hear him say hes not going to make it. but everyone got out in one piece so he did an outstanding job.

Offline joshgammon

this is from an approaching helicopter too. bit more audio. chilling to listen to.

Offline Fuschimuschi

Wow.
Nice footage.

Offline apcyberax

Some still of the pilot. Hats off to him  :wink:

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
Amazing.  Even more amazing is two video cameras at the scene rolling at the time of incident!

Offline sykocus

I'm not a pilot but it seems that guy is more lucky then good, but you know what the old saying is :)

Offline KASWspotter

I think luck was a factor as well but he got it down in one piece. Im curious about the point where he lost his engine. He might have faired better by looking for an open field instead of making the "death turn" to try to make the field. I thought I heard in the audio that he said he was downwind. Not sure if he lost the engine on or before the downwind though. He was too darn close to scraping that wingtip and a completely different outcome. Glad everything turned out well though.

Offline joshgammon

I think luck was a factor as well but he got it down in one piece. Im curious about the point where he lost his engine. He might have faired better by looking for an open field instead of making the "death turn" to try to make the field. I thought I heard in the audio that he said he was downwind. Not sure if he lost the engine on or before the downwind though. He was too darn close to scraping that wingtip and a completely different outcome. Glad everything turned out well though.

from the sounds he lost partial power downwind. because the tower asks him if he can maintain altitude and he confirms. he then tells the tower he is making the tight circuit. so i would assume he loses total power just prior to that point?

Offline KASWspotter

Yeah I agree I listened to it again. Just glad it all turned out ok.

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
Are there any australian pilots out there that can answer this question.

During your PPL, do you guys practice a engine failure while in the circuit as part of your PPL test?

In Canada, you have to do it for your CPL, but not PPL. Usually the examiner/instructor will pull the power while you are on downwind someplace and you have to make the runway (and be within the point you'd say you'd touch down at).

The exercise (called a 180 degree precision approach) is outlined here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/general/flttrain/planes/pubs/tp13462/ex18.htm#a

Offline joshgammon

we actually do this for both GFPT and PPL. not quite at CPL ask me in three months ill let you know :)