Author Topic: THY1955 asked to go around after landing clearance. Altitude problem again?  (Read 9594 times)

Offline Geile Lul

Turkish Airlines flight 1955 was cleared to land on august, 17 2009 at EHAM: Schiphol, The Netherlands and after that it was advised to go around. Why? Was it coming in too high? Just speculation. But interesting to me because earlier this year THY1951 crashed at EHAM after having problems with the altimeter.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 05:27:41 PM by Geile Lul »

Offline atcman23

The "go around" was initiated by the tower controller; therefore you can rule out any sort of equipment problems.  This was likely done because there was something on the runway (aircraft, vehicle, animal, etc). and the aircraft may have not landed safely.  Usually ATC will not declare a go around for an aircraft coming in too high however, they may ask the pilot if they want to go around.   I think in this case (being that we weren't there it's hard to say), I think the runway was not clear.

Offline happylex

A group of birds ruined an engine of a b737-800 just after take-off. After this the plane had to make an emergency landing. The runway was still covered with bird-parts.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:18:30 AM by happylex »

Offline fabian24

Does anybody have more audio clips alike of EHAM? They're my favourite ones!