airtraffic

Author Topic: The event that is Air Force One  (Read 22162 times)

Offline tyketto

The event that is Air Force One
« on: May 28, 2009, 03:45:00 AM »

And an event it is. A1 paid a visit to KLAS on Tuesday, and KLAX on Wednesday, with appropriate TFRs, restring my neighbour in Vegas from his first ever flight. Anywho, I happened to tell him about LiveATC and while he went down to KLAS to catch A1 coming in, I listened to it on Glenn's feed. Routine stuff here, A1 gets ILS 25R, skies are cleared for it, ground stop in effect, and the frequency is dead until he's handed to Tower. then the chaos begins.

Stacked holds in the most unusual places (read: inbound leg is on the 25L LOC, right hand turns, hold 10 miles out on the same LOC, 2000ft above the glidepath), along with the published holds on the STARs, all with very long EFCs. Emergency almost declared from a jet with minimum fuel and no alternate field to divert to, in short, complete chaos. I'm not editing this clip as you hear A1 at the beginning and the song/dance shortly after.

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/klas/KLAS-May-26-2009-2300Z.mp3

There may be more when A1 departs KLAX tomorrow (there really wasn't much to hear on landing, as the South complex handled all other traffic, while A1 got the North complex all to itself). If anyone wants to find it in the archive, it's the May 26 2009 1930Z clip in the archive, 21:20 in to the clip.

BL.

Offline jonnevin

Re: The event that is Air Force One
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 06:09:53 PM »
why does he not fly into Nellis?
I can only imagine the costs incurred by everyone to hold/delay for AF1 arrival.

djmodifyd

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:03:16 AM »
working AF1 is an interesting experience...
although it sucks when you have aircraft waiting for it to all get over

Offline westair

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 06:00:38 AM »
If they used Nellis then North Las Vegas (Local Class D) would pose a problem with flights coming in from the East flying right over it. (We always fly either right over or right near Nellis).

Weird, I didn't even know the President was in town until reading it here. I should probably start reading those TFR's...

Offline jonnevin

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 12:10:16 PM »
I would think that from a security standpoint nellis would be a much better option. Although I see what you're saying about north las vegas traffic, but doesn't it make more sense to essentially shut down a GA airport with a TFR then cripple a major commercial airport?

Offline tyketto

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 02:06:30 PM »
If they used Nellis then North Las Vegas (Local Class D) would pose a problem with flights coming in from the East flying right over it. (We always fly either right over or right near Nellis).

Weird, I didn't even know the President was in town until reading it here. I should probably start reading those TFR's...

Almost. :)

If flying from the east, and assuming Configuration #1 is in use at KLAS, you could fly the CORTEZ1 route over downtown Vegas, and over the Bank of America building, you'll be handed off to VGT Tower for right traffic to the 12s or 7, or a straight in to the 30s.

Either way, the TFR had a 45 mile radius from LAS in all directions, so nothing GA was getting in or out unless they were going to HND.

BL.

Offline jedgar

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 12:25:34 AM »
I'm curious to know what would take priority, AF1 or a Mayday?

Offline tyketto

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 04:00:56 AM »
I'm curious to know what would take priority, AF1 or a Mayday?

Regardless of if A1 (not to be confused with AF1, which is Air France 1) is on the ground or in the air, the mayday should take priority. In fact, section 2-1-4 of the FAAO 7110.65 seems to back that:

2-1-4. OPERATIONAL PRIORITY
Provide air traffic control service to aircraft on a “first come, first served" basis as circumstances permit, except the following:

NOTE-
It is solely the pilot's prerogative to cancel an IFR flight plan. However, a pilot's retention of an IFR flight plan does not afford priority over VFR aircraft. For example, this does not preclude the requirement for the pilot of an arriving IFR aircraft to adjust his/her flight path, as necessary, to enter a traffic pattern in sequence with arriving VFR aircraft.

a. An aircraft in distress has the right of way over all other air traffic.
d. Expedite the movement of presidential aircraft and entourage and any rescue support aircraft as well as related control messages when traffic conditions and communications facilities permit.

BL.

Offline yrp

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 12:13:27 AM »
Nope, actually, AF1 is Air Force 1.  Air France would be AFR1.  The airlines mostly use 3 letter identifiers.

Offline mkop

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 01:16:37 AM »
Nope, actually, AF1 is Air Force 1.  Air France would be AFR1.  The airlines mostly use 3 letter identifiers.

yrp is correct about Air Force 1. See here or here

Michael

Offline tyketto

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 01:56:50 AM »

Until people start crossing ICAO and IATA codes, which AF1 would be Air France 1. Therein lies the confusion. But point taken.

BL.

Offline sykocus

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 03:38:38 AM »

yrp is correct about Air Force 1. See here or here

Michael

wasn't always so. i wonder if the secret service didn't like the presidents flight being knows as "steak sauce"

Offline wlewis06

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »

And an event it is. A1 paid a visit to KLAS on Tuesday, and KLAX on Wednesday, with appropriate TFRs, restring my neighbour in Vegas from his first ever flight. Anywho, I happened to tell him about LiveATC and while he went down to KLAS to catch A1 coming in, I listened to it on Glenn's feed. Routine stuff here, A1 gets ILS 25R, skies are cleared for it, ground stop in effect, and the frequency is dead until he's handed to Tower. then the chaos begins.

Stacked holds in the most unusual places (read: inbound leg is on the 25L LOC, right hand turns, hold 10 miles out on the same LOC, 2000ft above the glidepath), along with the published holds on the STARs, all with very long EFCs. Emergency almost declared from a jet with minimum fuel and no alternate field to divert to, in short, complete chaos. I'm not editing this clip as you hear A1 at the beginning and the song/dance shortly after.

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/klas/KLAS-May-26-2009-2300Z.mp3

There may be more when A1 departs KLAX tomorrow (there really wasn't much to hear on landing, as the South complex handled all other traffic, while A1 got the North complex all to itself). If anyone wants to find it in the archive, it's the May 26 2009 1930Z clip in the archive, 21:20 in to the clip.

BL.

The audio isn't playing for me - could it be that the file was part of the archives and they are only kept for 30 days or so?  If anyone has the original file saved and could repost that would be great - would love to hear the chaos firsthand.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 08:02:15 AM »
If it wasn't fetched and posted in the forums, it's gone.  :-(

Offline tyketto

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 12:10:35 PM »
You're in luck. :) Though I posted the link to the clip in the archive, I did download it to find out if I had the right clips.

I'll attach them here. In the first clip, they check in at the 30 minute mark. That overlaps with the second clip (2nd one has initial check-in as well). After that, the chaos ensues. Keep in mind that these are unedited, so they may take up some space, plus if anyone would like to edit them, by all means, please do.

BL.