airtraffic

Author Topic: Metallic microphone  (Read 10386 times)

Cap747

Metallic microphone
« on: May 02, 2010, 02:43:01 PM »
 :-D From the near deal with WN1322 South West recording a very short piece of work about a very metallic sounding microphone and the weird voice such a microphone gives to the pilot  :lol:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:10:44 AM by Cap747 »

Cap747

Re: Metalic microphone
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 02:53:14 PM »
This brings me to the next point:

Does any controller have a favorite type of microphone , I hear SAS Scandinavian airlines frequently with an extremely clear and specially loud voice over my scanner, some controllers might even jump back 3 feet or so.

Is there a standard type of aircraft microphone or requirement for communicating with ATC or can they use any type?

How does a controller react to a sudden loud clear bright (almost) yel over the frequency?

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 06:34:31 PM by Cap747 »

Offline Hollis

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 09:27:18 PM »
There are many types of microphones, usually designed for a specific purpose. There are carbon, dynamic, pizeolectric, condenser and others. Some will sound 'metallic' (tinny), since they typically that don't have a full frequency range. Sort of like speakers. A 'woofer' doesn't respond to high notes and a 'tweeter' won't do the low bass notes.
Notice the difference in quality between two types of mics in the attached clip.

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:12:44 PM »
How does a controller react to a sudden loud clear bright (almost) yel over the frequency?

not sure how this varies between facilities but i asked this question to a controller friend of mine after i wondered the same thing. They said they had an Automatic Gain Control setting, which means they could set their volume to their preferred setting and everything they hear will be a constant volume. It's the same principle how radio shows are always at the same volume no matter how loud/soft the person is talking.

Cap747

Re: Metallic microphone
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 05:24:33 AM »
Tnx for the comments, but after years of study about readability of microphones it has been determined that a woman's voice usually is more clear rather than a mans voice and a beeb tone reaches the greatest distance over an AM frequency... So there could be a standard type of microphone introduced here.....

Still today there are several bad copies (read backs) because of either weak signal or unreadable pronounced words due to environment noise in an airplane....
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:09:10 PM by Cap747 »

Offline Unbeliever

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:14:09 PM »
That sound like a carrier that is slightly out of tune and slightly out of the receive lock band.  We're listening to a lot of carrier and a little bit of sideband.

--Carlos V.

Cap747

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 11:10:19 AM »
That sound like a carrier that is slightly out of tune and slightly out of the receive lock band.  We're listening to a lot of carrier and a little bit of sideband.

--Carlos V.

Actually I thought of a militairy airplane with his mask on, as he say's : "I have going into the high speed"   But it still sounds weird  :lol: