Author Topic: SR22T - N288WT CAPS Pull (Parachute) near Aspen, CO (KASE) 01/27/20 Appox 22:40Z  (Read 3895 times)

Offline ErikGun

Preliminary information reports that SR22T N288WT s/n 1594 deployed CAPS near Aspen, CO today. 2 occupants were uninjured.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/small-plane-crashes-near-woody-creek-outside-of-aspen-no-injuries-reported/

Approximately 3:25 PM the Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office received an Aircraft Alert notification from the FAA Tower at the Aspen Pitkin County Airport indicating an aircraft landing at the airport was in distress.  ...  At approximately 6:25 PM rescuers arrived at the scene of the crash and made contact with the two occupants.  ... At approximately 12:05 PM all rescuers and the two subjects were safely out of the field.

It took 3 hours to reach them and 9 hours to get them out of the field. Even with the immediate safety of landing under the CAPS parachute, you may be waiting a long time for rescue. Plan ahead!

Both occupants of the aircraft were sheltering inside but neither was equipped to spend the night.   

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 04:59:54 PM by ErikGun »

Offline comperini

• My Website
Did I hear that right?  All this because of an airspeed indicator problem?

Offline jetmekdan

I was working on another aircraft at Aspen/Pitkin airport at the time this aircraft took off. I saw a lime green SR22T (N288WT) and didn't think much about it at the time. It was snowy weather with marginal visibility. My guess is that the pitot probe(s) ports iced up and sent erroneous air data to his instruments and making flying the aircraft very difficult. Amazing that they took off in that weather, it was crumby. Flightaware.com showed that it landed in EGE but obviously it did not. I heard that there was "an incident" and that we would have to wait until the next day for assistance we required that day.