airtraffic

Author Topic: Jet Blue Landing at LAX - Anyone have the audio????  (Read 29041 times)

Offline Love_To_Fly

Jet Blue Landing at LAX - Anyone have the audio????
« on: September 22, 2005, 07:55:41 AM »
I was not able to connect during this time due to high demand for the stream.  Does anyone have the audio in sound format/or perhaps video with atc spliced into it??   I would love to keep this one for my archives!!  And I can't seem to find any archives on here yet!

Offline Joe

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 03:00:38 PM »
Yeah if anyone has it please post!!
I was listening but there was a weird buzzing sound so I couldnt hear it very well.

Offline Neil

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 08:44:00 PM »
I might be wrong but I imagine the majority of the conversation took place on an "On Guard" Channal.... :cry:

Offline hopskip

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 10:14:26 PM »
Some of the tech stuff may have been, but emergency call, holding instructions, handoffs, and clearance to land were not.

Offline CCCPSpy

Recording
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 01:13:26 AM »
Hey guys, a pilot who does a podcast recorded a good chunck of the emergency. The link to his page is http://joepodcaster.libsyn.com/.

Offline yuval_el

Re: Recording
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 01:54:13 AM »
Quote from: CCCPSpy
Hey guys, a pilot who does a podcast recorded a good chunck of the emergency. The link to his page is http://joepodcaster.libsyn.com/.

Thank you very much.
Does any one have also the converstaion with the ATC?

Offline homie_geee

Did i hear right?
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 02:34:54 AM »
Did I hear right? The maintenance people said there was a sensor fault and the nosegear was ok?  When infact it wasn't?

Or have I lost the plot.

Offline sam_nz

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 05:20:27 AM »
Nope, that's what they said. Sensor fault, the nosegear was okay.

Offline homie_geee

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 01:05:29 PM »
Well doesnt that startle you?  Maintenance was completely wrong.  How can they be so confident to say "we confirm by diagnostics this is a definite sensor fault, and we believe your gear is straight"

Thats just absolutely mind boggling to me that they were completely wrong and be so damn sure it was a fault.

Offline Vince717

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 05:28:11 PM »
Thanks for posting the link to the Audio Transmissions!

I thought it was also interesting that the pilot mentioned that the same plane had been written up for the same problem the day previously!

Offline Love_To_Fly

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 07:30:53 PM »
Not the audio from the flight crew but i still found this interesting, You may as well.  This is audio I found from the JetBlue landing from the Ground crews.  Quite interesting to listen to how they get everything ready for the worst, and you hear them watching the plane land etc.   It's a great listen.  Enjoy!

Offline n57flyguy

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 09:50:23 AM »
it was on jet careers awhile ago. will try to find it.

Offline n57flyguy

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 09:50:44 AM »
it was on jet careers awhile ago. will try to find it.

Offline Lincolnshireblue

Jetblue
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 01:51:14 PM »
The podcast is on www.futurastudios.com/atc/html

scroll down to 'aviation links'

Offline Wolfala

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 10:05:33 PM »
Just incase the video wasn't readily available.

Offline Check Airman

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 04:27:24 PM »
hi all

i don't see the atc audio on the site, only the comm with maintenance

Offline mk882004

Re: Jet Blue Landing at LAX - Anyone have the audio????
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 09:32:38 PM »
I dont' know if anyone even reads this anymore but it shows that pilots still have a lot of skill even though autopilot is highly used... I always want pilots up front... that way if something goes wrong someone up front who knows how to fly also has their life on the line and wants to fix it

Offline Canadian eh

Re: Jet Blue Landing at LAX - Anyone have the audio????
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 02:37:31 PM »
that's a great video, good post!

Offline cessna157

• facebook
Re: Did i hear right?
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 08:33:17 AM »
I might be wrong but I imagine the majority of the conversation took place on an "On Guard" Channal.... :cry:

What?  No.  Anytime we have to declare an emergency or have an emergency situation, we just keep talking to ATC that we're already talking to.  No reason to switch over to 121.5.  Unfortunately we just don't have most of the ATC for this flight.  Ironically we do have the company recordings of JBU calling back to maintenance control.  It is ironic because these frequencies are not listed to the public so not many, outside of the company, know which frequency to use through the country for that company.  Any part 121 flight is required to be able to call back to their operations control center at any point in the flight, no matter where they are.

Did I hear right? The maintenance people said there was a sensor fault and the nosegear was ok?  When infact it wasn't?
Or have I lost the plot.

Unfortunately you are absolutely correct.  For the most part maintenance controllers know the airplanes very well.  But they are also human and don't always diagnose the problem correctly, especially when they are not right there in the airplane with you.

I just had a good example last night.  Flew CVG-PHL in one of our "problem child" CRJ700s (for some reason this plane is notorious for being a hangar queen).  We kept hearing the left airconditioning pack (one of the 2 systems that provides airconditioning and pressurization from the engines to the cabin) cycling on and off.  We looked at the synoptic page and indeed the pressure would drop to zero, all of the green lines turned black, and the valve on the engine would show closed.  So I called on the radio back to our maintenance control to let them know what was going on.  They were aware of a similiar situation of something like this happening and ran me through a few things to try to get the pack to recycle itself and stay online.  But the guidance they were giving me was a service bulletin from Bombardier concerning an indication error of the engine valve indicating closed when it was still open.  I tried explaining to them that this wasn't an indication as we could hear and feel the pack turbine spin down and back up with the airflow change.  But unfortunately, as a human, the maintenance controller, who by know had a whole group of controllers with him on the radio helping us, had already had his mind set on the fact that this was only an indication problem (anyone seen Apollo 13?) and not a pack or valve problem.  To make a long story short, we got to PHL, and the mechanic that came out to look at the problem had the service bulletin in his hand (our guys faxed him a copy of it to check out), which meant that he too was now under the impression that this was just an indication problem.  Luckily as he was sitting in the flight deck with us, while the pack was running from the APU and not the engine, it was cycling again, so he immediately threw the service bulletin away and started from scratch.

Just shows that you can have all of the computers and problem history in the world at your finger tips, but if you aren't right there experiencing the problem yourself, you might get it wrong.