Author Topic: Sleeping in the tower?  (Read 12688 times)

Offline mkop

Sleeping in the tower?
« on: March 22, 2009, 01:26:23 AM »
Caught this on the KROC feed. Can't figure out which airport it's at, though. Anyone?

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Sleeping in the tower?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:23:36 AM »
Sounds to me like a helicopter landing at a nearby hospital or building during the wee hours of the AM ("lower pad at ?") and the pilot, who was talking to approach, was joking about the ROC tower controller.  Strong Memorial is one of the bigger hospitals in ROC but that doesn't quite sound like "lower pad at STRONG" to me.

Offline mkop

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 12:24:12 PM »
It has to be something within a tower's airspace, and a tower that's open at midnight, at that. Is ROC the only tower in that area?

The page at http://skyvector.com/airport/2NY5/Strong-Memorial-Hospital-Heliport says:

COORDINATE WITH ROCHESTER ATCT TO ASSURE THAT OPNS TO AND FROM HELIPORT ARE COMPATIBLE WITH THOSE AT GREATER ROCHESTER INTL ARPT.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »
It has to be something within a tower's airspace, and a tower that's open at midnight, at that. Is ROC the only tower in that area?

Yes.  The next closest tower to that airspace would be Buffalo (KBUF), which is about 50nm west.  Of course, KBUF tower is inside BUF approach airspace, a different frequency.

Offline Delta Echo

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 10:22:44 PM »
maybe a 1 man Mid. The controller was in the bathroom.

DE

Offline Greg01

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 09:32:07 PM »
At BUF, the mid night shift has one guy upstairs and another downstairs.

Greg

Offline ChristopherT

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 08:17:36 PM »
Strong Memorial is one of the bigger hospitals in ROC but that doesn't quite sound like "lower pad at STRONG" to me.

I was born there back in 1965 :evil: Using Goldwave 5.19 on the sample the pilot is clearly indicating his intention to land on pad at Strong Memorial.

"And Rochester Approach, Central 6, We're going to be going to the lower pad here at Strong."  That's from 0.000 to 4.808 seconds.  (I'd call it a "Class B" EVP Capture on the other forum!  :-D

ChristopherT
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 11:05:56 PM by ChristopherT »

Offline kiapolo2002

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 02:33:29 PM »
i can hear him clearly saying "we're gonna be going to the lower pad here at strong"...which means that this is deffinately a helo on approach...

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 09:01:05 PM »
I remember working on my night rating at YKZ, doing some circuits with my instructor.

ATC guy came on: "hey, I'm alone up here and really need to go to the bathroom, if anyone is calling me let me know I'll be back soon".

I never did have the opportunity to let another pilot know that the controller was "in-dispensed" at the moment and will return ;)

He got back before we had to turn final ;)