Author Topic: Runway Incursion CLT 5-29-09?  (Read 13081 times)

Offline coswellnc

Runway Incursion CLT 5-29-09?
« on: June 02, 2009, 11:32:52 PM »
Was anyone listening to the new CLT feed when this happend? Local TV Channel reported a "near miss" on the runway at CLT.

NTSB investigating near-miss at Charlotte airport

05:24 PM EDT on Tuesday, June 2, 2009

By NewsChannel 36 Staff
E-mail Us: NEWS@WCNC.com

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Two planes came with 10 feet of colliding at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport on Friday, according to the National Transportation Safety Board.

The near-miss, known as a runway incursion, happened at about 10:17 a.m.

The NTSB says a regional jet operated by US Airways nearly struck a single-engine turboprop aircraft. Both had been cleared for takeoff on the same runway.

The NTSB says the smaller aircraft saw the jet coming down the runway and pulled to the side. A ground-based collision warning system alerted controllers and the jet's pilot was told to cancel the takeoff.

The two aircraft ended up about 10 feet from each other. No injuries were reported.

The NTSB is investigating.

Offline SkyPie

Re: Runway Incursion CLT 5-29-09?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 06:42:03 AM »
Quote from: [url=http://ntsb.gov/Pressrel/2009/090602.html]NTSB Press Release[/url]
The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating a runway incursion that occurred on Friday morning at the Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) involving a general aviation aircraft and a regional jet airliner bound for New Bern, NC (EWN).

At about 10:17 a.m. on May 29, a PSA Airlines CRJ-200 regional jet operated as US Airways Express flight 2390, was cleared for takeoff on runway 18L. After the regional jet was into its takeoff roll, a Pilatus PC-12, a single engine turboprop aircraft, was cleared to taxi into position and hold farther down the same runway in preparation for a departure roll that was to begin at the taxiway A intersection. After the ground-based collision warning system (ASDE-X) alerted controllers to the runway incursion, the takeoff clearance for the regional jet was cancelled.  The pilot of the PC-12, seeing the regional jet coming down the runway on a collision course, taxied the PC-12 to the side of the runway. The FAA reported that the regional jet stopped approximately 10 feet from the PC-12.

Visual meteorological conditions prevailed with 9 miles visibility. There were no reported injuries to any of the 42 passengers or crew of three aboard the jet, or to any of those on the PC-12.

The aircraft involved were JIA390 and N409DR.

I skimmed through the archived feed and picked out some of the pertinent bits:
12:11 - N409DR requests taxi, told to expect intersection takeoff on 18L at A
14:42 - LC instructs JIA390 to hold short 18L
15:14 - JIA390 TIPH'd for 18L
16:44 - JIA390 receives takeoff clearance
16:54 - N409DR TIPH'd for 18L
17:14 - JIA390's takeoff clearance canceled
[feed goes to ground for a bit]
18:01 - JIA390 begins exiting 18L at C9
18:22 - Taxi instructions for N409DR on D
23:25 - Cut off instructions for N409DR to hold on 18L past the 23 intersection
25:45 - N409DR gets takeoff clearance for 18L at intersection A

Yikes. Sounds like the LC mistook N409DR as a full-length takeoff.

Offline hand1dj

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 10:03:13 AM »
For posterity and because I didn't feel like working this morning, here is an edit of the archive file. Initial stuff removed until 390 checks in, after that only about 5 seconds of silence removed to retain some semblance of realism of the radio events leading up to the event. Removed silence and some ground transmissions after the event.

Enjoy!

Offline aevins

Offline mk

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:42:48 AM »
yeah sounds like, Local thought N9DR was behind JIA390...otherwise she would have said, " N9DR, runway 18L at A, TIPH"

Offline swayze84

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 09:24:51 PM »
It's probably because my instructor consistently drilled me about being hyper-vigilant in airport operations, but am I the only one surprised that the pilot of the PC-12 did not mention the intersection when reading back the position and hold instruction?

I don't say this in any way to place blame on anyone for the miscue, but it caught me a bit off guard.  Situational awareness should be a team effort between the pilot and ATC, and this incident really brings that idea home for me.