Air Traffic Monitoring > Aviation Audio Clips

Runway incursion at BOS

<< < (2/3) > >>

KSYR-pjr:

--- Quote from: PIT ---well, everyone makes a misteak now and than but to have two misteaks right in a row. someone needs to wake up.
--- End quote ---

Where was the second mistake?

knish1231:
First crossing 22R.  Then after some talking to he goes ahead and starts to cross 22L when he was told to stop.

i think i got that right...

KSYR-pjr:

--- Quote from: knish1231 ---First crossing 22R.  Then after some talking to he goes ahead and starts to cross 22L when he was told to stop.
--- End quote ---

My interpretation of the transcript differs.  FedEx never had any intention of crossing 22L and was merely taxiing up to the hold short, as he was instructed to do so by ground.   In seeing this movement, the tower controller  *thought* FedEx was going to cross 22L, given the FedEx 22R incursion moments earlier *and* given the fact that the tower controller was not in two-way communication with him.

With the JetBlue about to take off, the tower controller had very little time to react, so he shouted "STOP" to the FedEx aircraft (even though FedEx may not have been on frequency) and canceled JetBlue's  takeoff clearance.

Again, my interpretation is that the FedEx never crossed the hold short of 22L, thus no second mistake was made.

digger:
Read the initial post:

Quote:
Winn, confident that FedEx 661 was not going to proceed any further and risk crossing 22L then instructed the aircraft to change frequency, and monitor the tower’s local control. But by then, Sawyer had already tried and failed to reach FedEx661 as it approached Runway 22R and did not look like it was going to stop short. Sawyer was forced to make some quick decisions regarding a JetBlue flight off 22R, which he had moments earlier cleared for takeoff. But upon failing to reach the FedEx operator, Sawyer immediately canceled JetBlue’s takeoff clearance and averted a serious incident.

Winn must have intended to issue the frequency change while FedEx was holding short of 22R, as instructed. When FedEx failed to hold at that point, obviously the frequency change was not yet issued. Sawyer's attempt to contact FedEx was futile, as they had not yet been instructed to change to his frequency, thus he cancelled JetBlue's takeoff clearance, in a timely fashion, knowing that at least *they* were on his frequency.

Once across 22R, FedEx held short of 22L, as then instructed.

One mistake, but a pretty big one...

davolijj:

--- Quote from: KSYR-pjr ---My interpretation of the transcript differs....Again, my interpretation is that the FedEx never crossed the hold short of 22L, thus no second mistake was made.
--- End quote ---

If you listen to the recording though, JBU was departing 22R not 22L.  So the Local controller did avert a potential collision, but it was with the initial runway incursion on 22R.  Everything after that including the speculation of whether or not the FedEx Airbus would cross 22L was trivial.  I think the narrative was erroneous.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version