Air Traffic Monitoring > Aviation Audio Clips

Runway incursion at BOS

<< < (3/3)

KSYR-pjr:

--- Quote from: davolijj ---If you listen to the recording though, JBU was departing 22R not 22L.  So the Local controller did avert a potential collision, but it was with the initial runway incursion on 22R.  Everything after that including the speculation of whether or not the FedEx Airbus would cross 22L was trivial.  I think the narrative was erroneous.
--- End quote ---

Thanks, JD.  I missed that minor detal.  :)

digger:

--- Quote ---I think the narrative was erroneous.
--- End quote ---

I think the narrative was correct. It is a little confusing when you listen to the audio, because you hear both controllers talking to FedEx.

--- Quote ---So the Local controller did avert a potential collision, but it was with the initial runway incursion on 22R.
--- End quote ---

I agree. The confusion, I believe, stems from the transmission by Sawyer, the local controller, telling FedEx to stop. At that time, FedEx was still on ground's (Winn's), frequency, because he had not been given the frequency change yet--ground expected to hand him off to local as he was holding short of 22R, which is what he failed to do. I'm not sure who compiled the clip, but I believe that some of it must overlap between the two freequencies--that is, some of the transmissions on the clip were being made at approximately the same time. Local's instruction to "stop", was given in the belief that if FedEx was crossing 22R, he must've already been on local's frequency. The potential collision was averted when local shut down JetBlue--the only option that would work, because FedEx wasn't with him yet.

Does that make sense?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version