Author Topic: Rare cause for a go-around  (Read 21745 times)

Offline Hollis

Rare cause for a go-around
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:17:32 AM »
First time I've heard of that one.

Offline ATCfly

Re: Rare cause for a go-around
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 07:48:34 PM »
On the AIRPORT/FACILITY DIRECTORY chart for kodiak, AK Owens of such thing.

Offline Aeroerau

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »

It happens and it happened to me at TJIG (Dominicci Airport) in San Juan, Puerto Rico when I was a student pilot. I was coming in to land on Rwy 9 which starts at one end of the San Juan Bay. Well, there was a sail boat navigating north near the shore line that was aligned with the center line as I was on final at about 300 ft.

I guess with a little more experience I could have done a short-field approach but all I could think was to go around. I told ATC and when asked for reason I said: ‘Uhh, there is a big boat here’. I can only imagine what they were saying afterwards. I was flying a heavy C-152. LOL.  :roll:

Offline jportzer

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:25:36 AM »
I've been on the opposite side of this as the skipper of a sailing yacht near Hamilton Island Airport, Queensland Australia (HTI / YBHM).  The AIP says for this airport:  "Yacht masts may infringe Rwy 14-32 apch slope clnc. "  Typically during sailing races the finish line is not far from the Runway 14 approach and when aircraft are inbound, a call is made over marine radio to ask yachts to do their best to stay out of the way.  Hopefully we share the airspace in a friendly way; I haven't heard of any go-arounds due to yacht masts here, though I suppose it's likely to have happened at some point in the past.