airtraffic

Author Topic: Ramp calls an Abort (!)  (Read 3884 times)

Offline DingerX

Ramp calls an Abort (!)
« on: January 22, 2019, 04:29:03 AM »
21 January 2019, KL 606 (callsign KL282 heavy), a 787-9 KSFO-EHAM, is cleared for takeoff, and starts its roll. Twenty seconds after clearance, tower cancels clearance, saying that company called the abort. The aircraft vacates via Golf, so it was a low-speed abort, and it takes about 25 minutes to sort everything out: it sounds to me like there was a gross error on the cargo manifest (although I heard "fuel" at some point too); eventually, company transmitted a more accurate manifest, and they departed.

I didn't edit the clip, in part because I'm lazy and don't have the time, and in part because the event plays out just about precisely in the half-hour clip: T/O clearance starts 38 seconds in (well, I assume the line up and wait is on the previous recording), and the handoff to departure occurs at 31:22.

Twenty to thirty seconds later, and they wouldn't be stopping. Now, imagine somewhere in between, if the abort was called because of a grossly under-reported weight, flex takeoff, and they abort at high speed, but below what they think is V1. Would they have dipped their toes into the bay?

Offline oktalist

Re: Ramp calls an Abort (!)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 02:02:33 PM »
Edited and added comms from GND also.

Report from the Aviation Herald: http://avherald.com/h?article=4c3367a3

Twenty to thirty seconds later, and they wouldn't be stopping. Now, imagine somewhere in between, if the abort was called because of a grossly under-reported weight, flex takeoff, and they abort at high speed, but below what they think is V1. Would they have dipped their toes into the bay?
Great question.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 03:46:21 PM »
Edited and added comms from GND also.

Report from the Aviation Herald: http://avherald.com/h?article=4c3367a3

Great question.

Very good question, especially if not knowing whether they hit V1 or crossed the intersection of the 28s. But even assuming that they did and had to rotate anyway, This could have been another ACA143 (Gimli Glider).

All I know is that if I were the pilot, and while I know that a fully loaded B767 and B787 can depart the 1s easily, after getting the correct numbers and regardless of what ATC says, I'd be requesting a 28L/R departure just to be sure I have enough runway length.

BL.

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 04:05:50 PM »
Hello,

Thank you both for sharing and your comments. I've been debating this issue with a friend of mine whi is a pilot in the B788 for Air Europa here in Spain. He can't believe this happened and said pretty similar to what tyketto said "I'd be requesting a 28L/R departure just to be sure I have enough runway length."

Do you know if an investigation  - maybe KLM internal - has been opened about it? :?

Regards