airtraffic

Author Topic: Playback timeline not consistent on web, Windows Media Player, and Groove  (Read 4761 times)

Offline RossComer

I'm having unable to get consistent playback at a specific time on at least one recording.  If I hear something interesting and note the time (6:21) and later go back to that time in the recording (6:21), I don't get the same playback and have to search around for that same clip.

Example:
- Download (or listen in the web browser) the KSEA Approach (NW) Sep-22-2021-0000Z recording (https://archive.liveatc.net/ksea/KSEA2-App-NW-Sep-22-2021-0000Z.mp3)
- Play from the beginning and note the time when Approach calls "Cirrus 123ZM Radar contact" (I just got 6:21)
- Now drag the playback slider back to 3:00 (or something) and then forward to 6:15
- The original audio isn't there but new audio that I think is from several minutes in the future (from 9:00) is now playing.

Why isn't dragging the slide around consistent?

Perhaps related, the recording is only 16:52 long so perhaps there is some sort of compression that is going on that is confusing the players?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: Playback timeline not consistent on web, Windows Media Player, and Groove
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 04:06:20 PM »
MP3 format on some feeds is Variable Bitrate MP3 (VBR). That may be your issue. Use a proper player like Audacity that knows how to ingest VBR.

Offline RossComer

Re: Playback timeline not consistent on web, Windows Media Player, and Groove
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 04:19:35 PM »
MP3 format on some feeds is Variable Bitrate MP3 (VBR). That may be your issue. Use a proper player like Audacity that knows how to ingest VBR.

Yup, that is it.  Thanks for the quick response.  Providing feedback to Microsoft now... :-)