Author Topic: Plane crash (NGF15D) in Easton, MA (near Mansfield, MA 1B9)  (Read 111412 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Plane crash (NGF15D) in Easton, MA (near Mansfield, MA 1B9)
« on: August 12, 2008, 11:33:11 AM »
MyFoxBoston Coverage

Three fatalities, according to the FAA.  This was an Angel Flight from somewhere on Long Island (NY) to Boston Logan Airport.

Update: Boston.com

No direct reception of any comms from the plane but this clip has Boston Approach Plymouth sector inquiring about ELT reception and then later makes calls to N6600L (which turned out not to be the crash plane) on both 120.6 and 121.5.

According to the latest data, this is the plane that crashed:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NGF15D

Note: No silence removed.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 05:21:57 PM by dave »

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Breaking news: Plane down in Easton, MA (near Mansfield, MA 1B9)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 01:11:19 PM »
A V-tail Bonanza and an Angel Flight to boot.  Damn.   

Offline marcoleon

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 01:18:14 PM »
Do you guys know the tail number? Glad both of you responded, I know you both fly Bo's in this area.

Prayers for the victims. I think this may be AFNE's first fatality. They had a great record.

Offline marcoleon

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »
I should have read your entire post Dave, you have the tail number there.  Sorry!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 01:24:55 PM »
Here is the flight path from FlightAware.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 01:29:14 PM »
Marco - typically when flying under the Angel Flight call sign we are instructed to use NGF followed by the last three characters of our tail-id, then put the entire full tail ID into the comment section of the IFR flight plan.  In this accident airplane's case the last 3 characters of this aircraft's tail ID would be 15D.   I see that Dave has included a call to an aircraft with a tail ID of N6600L, but under normal circumstances that tail ID would translate to an Angel Flight tail ID of NGF00L.  Hmmm.... maybe that is why the aircraft used a different ID for AF?

In the five years I have been flying for Angel Flight Northeast I am also not aware of any accidents leading to fatalities.    In fact, across the US Angel Flight typically has an incredibly safe record for the very large quantity of somewhat time sensitive mission-oriented flying their pilots perform.

Below is the accident aircraft's track.   Very notable is that large S-shaped deviation at the end of the flight.  

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 01:29:51 PM »
I have more audio coverage coming.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 01:34:49 PM »
Given the rules for creating Angel Flight tail IDs, I am wondering if N4615D is the tail ID.  I searched Landings.com for all aircraft that end in 15D and came up with this G35 based out of Connecticut that shares quite a few of the same airports as the NGF15D aircraft.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 01:41:38 PM »
I just received an email about this accident from Angel Flight.  It was a G35 V-tail that crashed and it was the first one in AFNE's history going back to the early 80s (the group's foundation).  Other than that, there was no other information.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 01:46:35 PM »
I just received an email about this accident from Angel Flight.  It was a G35 V-tail that crashed and it was the first one in AFNE's history going back to the early 80s (the group's foundation).  Other than that, there was no other information.

I'm not sure if it is its first fatality.. There was the NGF crash off the SoCal coast a year or so back that killed the host for Press Your Luck..

Either way, this is very sad.. Even though three people perished, I wonder more about the person or people they were trying to help..  :cry:

BL.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 01:51:21 PM »
I'm not sure if it is its first fatality.. There was the NGF crash off the SoCal coast a year or so back that killed the host for Press Your Luck..

The statistic I am quoting only has to do with Angel Flight Northeast, not Angel Flight in general.   There are many regional splinter groups under the umbrella of the Angel Flight national organization.

edit:  oh, and the crash to which you are referring was not the patient-carrying leg of the AF flight, as this one sadly was.  That aircraft was flying to the patient.

another edit:  Each Angel Flight group operates as a completely separate entity, including fund raising, and is common in name only.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:20:02 PM by KSYR-pjr »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Plane down (NGF15D) in Easton, MA [pilot audio]
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 02:31:50 PM »
This is the audio transcript of NGF15D in communication with Boston Approach.  The first part of the recording is the NGF15D pilot checking in with the Boston Departure sector (133.0) who sets him up for the Boston Final controller (126.5) to sequence him for Runway 4R (ILS 4R approach) at Boston Logan Airport.

It is always a sad day to lose a fellow pilot and other human lives.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 02:38:13 PM by dave »

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Plane down (NGF15D) in Easton, MA (near Mansfield, MA 1B9)
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 02:43:17 PM »
Here is the public press release from Angel Flight Northeast just released to the press and its members:

-----------  start press release --------------------

Lawrence, MA- Angel Flight Northeast, is a non-profit organization based in North Andover, MA, whose volunteer pilots transport those in need of medical treatment at no cost. 

At 10:35 this morning, Angel Flight NE was notified by the FAA in Boston that it had lost radar contact with an Angel Flight traveling from Westhampton, New York to Boston.  On board the aircraft were three people – a pilot and two passengers. 

We were later notified by authorities of the crash in Easton, MA, of an aircraft matching the description of the missing plane.  Local emergency services and law enforcement authorities responded to the crash site and report multiple fatalities.

We at Angel Flight are deeply saddened by this news and our sympathies go out to the families of those involved.   

In the past 12 years, Angel Flight NEhas safely flown more than 53,000 children and adults to medical care on 30,000 flights covering more than 7.6 million miles.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 02:57:47 PM »
Oh, man... just listened to the audio.  Sounds like spatial disorientation in IMC, as the pilot acknowledged a few of the low altitude alerts at first with no indication of any other trouble.

edit:  The last part of the clip where the controller is asking for other aircraft to listen for an ELT and one pilot asks about the accident aircraft is particularly disturbing, since at that point you can hear the anguish in the controller's voice. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 03:09:23 PM by KSYR-pjr »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 03:27:44 PM »
You never wish such a horrible event on any controller, especially when it is not his fault and there's not much he can do about it.

That controller is among my favorites at Boston TRACON.  He is always calm and composed, and does one hell of a job.

Offline JamieCT

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 03:43:26 PM »
I'm an angel flight pilot, and fly into Boston often. Those controllers are amazing, and offer spectacular service for Angel Flights. I'm shaken by the events that occured today, and have mixed feelings about having the audio posted. I think it serves a purpose, and illustrates how rapidly this kind of event can happen. I worry that out of respect for the families that are suffering a greater loss than we can imagine today, that it would be best to not make it public. Just my thoughts. My heart goes out to that controller, as well as the families.

Offline dylanh

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 03:59:07 PM »
Very sad. Not to arm-chair it.....but listening to the audio, seems like things went bad when he was given the decent from 4000 to 3000.  Judging from the photos already up elsewhere, loks like he possibly stall-spun into the ground. Right wing, and tail have nothing but fire damage...couldn't see the left wing, and the fuse looks full length,albeit VERY pancaked and burned. God bless 'em.  :cry:

Offline laylow

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 04:01:57 PM »
Terribly sad.  I can't imagine the stones it takes for a controller to remain calm and professional in that situation.

Oh man, I just got to the end of the clip, when the new controller came on.  Rough.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 04:04:42 PM by laylow »

Offline buckdharma

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 04:31:08 PM »
flying their pilots perform.

Below is the accident aircraft's track.   Very notable is that large S-shaped deviation at the end of the flight.  

Actually if you listen to the ATC recording and sync up the plane's track at http://www4.passur.com/bos.htmlat about 10:06 you'll find the plane SW of Boston and you'll hear ATC vectoring him in to get him in between some big jets on final on ILS 4.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 04:39:16 PM »
Actually if you listen to the ATC recording and sync up the plane's track at http://www4.passur.com/bos.htmlat about 10:06 you'll find the plane SW of Boston and you'll hear ATC vectoring him in to get him in between some big jets on final on ILS 4.

That post came out before Dave posted the audio clip.   Upon listening to the clip I now understand the explanation for such a large deviation. 

This accident really shook me up as well and I am having trouble thinking about anything else today.  My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims and to the controller involved, too. 

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Re: Plane crash (NGF15D) in Easton, MA (near Mansfield, MA 1B9)
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 06:25:13 PM »
What a terrible shame, my heart goes out to all of those involved and their loved ones.  AFNE has had a great record up to this point.  I am hopeful that this accident does not taint their immaculate reputation for a safe operation, or the reputation of general aviation.  Just listening to the tapes...what a helpless feeling.  I can't imagine what was going through the controller's mind as the incident unfolded in real time.

It turns out that the pilot of this angel flight mission was the co-worker of my dad's real estate agent.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of those on board.

Best,
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 06:26:45 PM by Jason »

Offline aevins

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 06:31:39 PM »
My heart and prayers go out as well.

Blue Skies.

Offline calugar

• Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic Volunteer
    • God's CoPilots
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 08:32:44 PM »
I have often tried, but I am sure I will never understand why bad things happen to good people, but this I do understand, we are all better by far for the good people who give so generously to help others.

My family offers its prayers and heart felt sympathy and love to those families affected by this tragedy. We pray that though we are left bewildered, those who have passed from us today are now where they can see clearly. While the loss of a fellow AF pilot and his passengers has left me distraught and in tears, I must believe that he sees what I can not see, and he now has the answers I have sought, but do not know.

May this stir us all to become better pilots then we are today. To be more vigilant then we would otherwise be. God bless those who's days are spent giving themselves to make our world a better place for others. God bless his family and the family of his passengers, and may God bless the controllers who expend themselves for us as we fly. God bless the good people at Angel Flight Northeast. We lament this tragedy, but we pray the next 20 years and 30,000 missions will be as safe as the past.

Offline scofreyjet

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 10:19:24 PM »
This appears to be the plane in question, based on the reported owner and type.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/nnumsql.asp?NNumbertxt=4615D

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 10:35:54 PM »
My family offers its prayers and heart felt sympathy and love to those families affected by this tragedy. We pray that though we are left bewildered, those who have passed from us today are now where they can see clearly. While the loss of a fellow AF pilot and his passengers has left me distraught and in tears, I must believe that he sees what I can not see, and he now has the answers I have sought, but do not know.

Nice words.  Thank you for taking the time to post.