Author Topic: Piper N132ND Beach Landing near JFK  (Read 115170 times)

Offline MikeNYC

Piper N132ND Beach Landing near JFK
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:26:18 PM »
Just put this together... beach landing near JFK, "engine running rough" then "medical emergency", then dispatch of multiple NYPD helicopters to scene
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:29:47 PM by MikeNYC »

Offline mielsonwheals

Re: Piper 32ND Beach Landing near JFK
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 08:43:09 PM »
great recording and nice job putting it together. the pilot seemed a little too happy about having to land on the beach, but better than the water i guess. glad everyone is okay

Offline aevins

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
This is extremely odd.

Offline MikeNYC

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:27:34 PM »
Agreed... seems a bit fishy that he asks to fly quite low, inquires about landing at JFK, requests a beach landing and that it may be ok as he's a paramedic (before any emergencies are declared), is denied, inquires where he can land on a beach, then speaks of engine trouble and later a passenger's medical condition, before landing on the beach. (Apologies for the run-on). If there was a medical emergency and not a mechanical issue, it would make sense to divert to JFK, just a few miles away with suitable emergency response equipment.

Offline snipper_cr

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:03:59 PM »
...What a VERY odd recording. Not to mention, some annoying radio habits. If anything, it just sounds suspicious.
"Can I land on the beach?"
"...no, it's a public beach."
"Any private beaches?"
"...no"
"I can't land on the beach then?"
"...no"
"My engine is running just SLIGHTLY rough, I am going to put it down on the beach"

Very weird indeed.

Offline StuSEL

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 10:58:38 PM »
I hope this guy gets some sort of enforcement action against him. This is absolutely ridiculous, especially considering that his action required the scrambling of the PD and FD ground and air units. If you're having true engine trouble, you don't dumb down the situation by saying "My engine might be running a TEENSY TEENSY BIT rough;" you make it clear that there is engine trouble and keep it at that. This guy is truly a hazard to the general public, a nuisance on Kennedy Tower's frequency, and is a truly terrible example of how general aviation pilots -- heck, any pilots -- are supposed to behave.

Offline StuSEL

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 11:07:42 PM »
What I find ironic about this is the name of the company to which the aircraft is registered: Plane Nonsense, Inc.
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=132ND

Since only the last four digits of the callsign were used, a quick search of 232ND, 332ND, etc. revealed several other registrations, but this one most closely matches the aircraft on the tape, seeing that it is based in Delaware.

Edit: Finding video footage now...guess I was right:
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Plane-Lands-On-Rockaway-Beach--119223044.html
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KFRG
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N132ND
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:16:37 PM by StuSEL »

Offline aevins

Re: Piper N132ND Beach Landing near JFK
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 12:05:45 AM »
From the NY Times,

The 23-year-old pilot and his two passengers, a 21-year-old woman and a 22-year-old man, climbed out of the plane, police officials said. Their identities were not immediately released. One person was taken to a hospital, but for reasons unrelated to the landing, the police said.

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 12:11:52 AM »
This is rediculous.

Offline aevins

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 12:14:50 AM »
For fun I did some digging. Plane Nonsense, Inc. is the parent company of East Coast Aero Club who operates this aircraft. http://www.eastcoastaeroclub.com/.

Here's a photo of the aircraft http://www.flickr.com/photos/drumil/2996271457/sizes/l/in/photostream/.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:17:02 AM by aevins »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 08:32:27 AM »
One thing the pilot said early on right after radar contact was established: "...what if I want to hide from you?"

This whole thing smells real bad.

Offline marcoleon

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 10:32:10 AM »
Very fishy indeed. The pilot came off as very unprofessional from the start like he was trying to impress his passengers.  Interesting how he asked for permission to land at the beach then his engine magically started running a little rough after that. It was like an excuse in case he got into trouble.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 10:34:42 AM »
I spoke to the aircraft owner this morning - they are on their way to retrieve the aircraft today.  I am certain that the pilot will have a lot of explaining to do.  This was a very odd incident, to say the least.

Offline Biff

• Biff's Hangar
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 10:43:39 AM »
A little more here:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1373615/Police-quiz-pilot-landed-beach-middle-night.html

Following the premature landing Mr Maloney was taken to a nearby police station and it is not yet known if or when any charges will be bought against Mr Maloney.

A spokesman for the FAA said was 'investigating' and could not say what punishment he would face until the circumstances of the incident were understood.

Not a good thing to do to an airplane, either:

alltheway

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 11:43:08 AM »
You know, this airplane had some serious damage before according to

http://aircrashed.com/cause/cSEA02LA186.shtml

So this attitude might be of students doing their exam stunt ( we do that in Europe though).....

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 11:51:57 AM »
This airplane was in perfectly good shape prior to this landing (verified by the owner today).

I flew alongside it all the way back from North Dakota when it was transported out here about 8 years ago.  I was flying a different (faster) aircraft from UND out here at the time.  I just remembered this today - hard to forget since the trip took a week due to weather!  The aircraft (the Piper Cherokee) was on a "Day VFR Only" restriction by the FSDO but was inspected and any small issues resolved once it got back here.

By the way, East Coast Aero Club is a top-notch flight school and maintenance is one of their strong points - they are meticulous.  I did my instrument training there and highly recommend them (for those near Boston, MA, Nashua, NH, or Norwood, MA).

Offline Dave_B

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 12:06:26 PM »
Wow. This is sickening. This guy had to be drunk. Hope he gets his certificate yanked, assuming he even has one.

That controller sure was patient with this a$$hole.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:08:35 PM by Dave_B »

alltheway

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 12:07:48 PM »
Yeah it says it's a Cherokee, and according to the clip the tower called it a Warrior, but both is true..

In 1978, Piper upgraded the Warrior to 160 horsepower (119 kW) PA-28-161, changing its name to Cherokee Warrior II.

Source Wikipedia

Offline flyflyfly

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 02:10:12 PM »
Allegedly, after landing, he told police he'd gotten permission to land on the beach, and also: 'Love what you do, love what you do. I'm never going to ride in a plane again.'

Hopefully he was right about the latter.

More info/gossip:
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/jet_stream_in_queens_FxCdP7lBQuww0Hk9MvBLNI

Offline gimp2x

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 02:36:08 PM »
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N132ND/history/20110404/1620Z/KSWF/KFRG/tracklog

look at his altitude/speed and heading track....looks like he is struggling a bit with headings and power settings
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:38:19 PM by gimp2x »

Offline MikeNYC

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 03:05:30 PM »
From the FAA records, the pilot is PP-ASEL instrument rated, First Class medical. Certificate issued 8/2009. That has no bearing on his current ability as a pilot, though, and his use of the radio is appalling.

Offline englishpilot

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 03:14:15 PM »
I don't get this - this pilot seems like a complete nut job.  I don't understand this at all - none of this makes sense.

As a private single engine pilot this really pisses me off - it gives us a bad name.

Offline FlyinMN

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 03:15:52 PM »
I think he's under the influence. Of what, I have no idea.

Offline dgabriel

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »
I agree with everyone on the forum here. Wonder if the plane was going to get reprocessed and tryed to make it harder for the repoplane guys to get it. I wouldn't want the pa28 after it was drenched with salt water. Ill bet some salt water is laying in some critical spots...starting the corrosion already.

Offline Wingking

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 06:38:33 PM »
I heard this entire transmission live as it was happening. I knew this guy was some type of freak or druggie right away but I could tell the controller couldn't.  I was amazed at the patience and kindness shown by the controller who was dealing with a bunch of heavy jets coming and going.  The guy was a total nutjob and its really bad for all pilots, GA etc...I hope the FAA goes after this nut in a big big way...