airtraffic

Author Topic: Philly Tower Yesterday...  (Read 15956 times)

Offline AirportMan

Philly Tower Yesterday...
« on: October 27, 2014, 05:23:22 PM »
I initially couldn't believe what I was hearing.  After I went back and listened a couple times, I cant help but feel for the pilot, and kudos to the tower controller for keeping his cool and staying professional.  Edited the clip down a bit.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:32:46 PM by AirportMan »

Offline martyj19

Re: Philly Tower Yesterday...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 09:51:49 PM »
Unlike the directional gyro found in trainers and smaller aircraft, the horizontal situation indicator is (almost universally) internally slaved to a compass so it will not precess and does not need to be adjusted as part of the runup and unless malfunctioning will not be incorrect.  It should be checked sometime during the taxi and when taking the runway to make sure it indicates runway heading, as should the directional gyro.  When taking the runway a mismatch ordinarily is the clue that you are on the wrong runway.

In case anyone else is confused, both DGs and HSIs are set up so that if you are supposed to turn to a heading, you find the heading on the face of the instrument and turn in that direction.  The number of degrees that you need to turn can be read directly off the instrument.