Author Topic: ORD NTSB Reenactment  (Read 16966 times)

Offline w0x0f

ORD NTSB Reenactment
« on: November 19, 2006, 11:15:31 AM »
This is an NTSB reenactment of a close call at ORD.  The UAL pilot is one cool customer.

http://www.ntsb.gov/Events/2006/MostWantedFed/AnimationDescription.htm

w0x0f

Offline Acey

Re: ORD NTSB Reenactment
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 01:31:26 PM »
"Don't worry, we got him".

I guess it's good the FO has confidence in his Captain, who was flying at the time.  The report said the Captain begin rotating about 10 knots early to clear the 74, at about 130 knots.

These NTSB animations are scary!  Cool use of Google Earth, also.

Offline ngreed

• Detroit Spotters
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 07:39:21 AM »
Wow that was close...

Offline Tomato

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 02:59:46 AM »
Wow, that's scary... I wonder what the passengers in each aircraft thought/felt?  So who's at fault?  Clearance was given for takeoff, so I'm guessing the taxiing aircraft?  :-o

Offline FlyCMI

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 10:07:09 AM »
The Air Traffic Controllers were at fault in what I read.  There were two different controllers that day, North Tower and South Tower.  One of them didn't get permission for the Atlas aircraft to cross an active runway.  Atleast that's what I heard.

Offline kkjlai

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 10:55:31 AM »
Wow, that's scary... I wonder what the passengers in each aircraft thought/felt?  So who's at fault?  Clearance was given for takeoff, so I'm guessing the taxiing aircraft?  :-o

I think most of the pax knows nothing about it while they are onboard..   :-)  unless the crew announced the situation over the intercom, and scared them out   :cry:

And I guess..  it is also an airmanship thing, and scan the runway for any traffic , even though the ATC cleared the taxi.   However.. we don't know if the visibility is good though when the incident occurs for the crew to be aware of the situation.

Offline Acey

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 05:49:33 PM »
The Air Traffic Controllers were at fault in what I read.  There were two different controllers that day, North Tower and South Tower.  One of them didn't get permission for the Atlas aircraft to cross an active runway.  Atleast that's what I heard.

And that's the truth.  The South Controller essentially took responsibility for thinking too far ahead while trying to expedite traffic.  Neither pilot is at fault, as both simply followed the instructions they were given.  The 747 didn't hold short because, as the PNF said, "nobody told them to".

Offline Tomato

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 01:54:07 PM »

I think most of the pax knows nothing about it while they are onboard..   :-)  unless the crew announced the situation over the intercom, and scared them out   :cry:

And I guess..  it is also an airmanship thing, and scan the runway for any traffic , even though the ATC cleared the taxi.   However.. we don't know if the visibility is good though when the incident occurs for the crew to be aware of the situation.

I think it's just like crossing the road... always look both ways even if you have the WALK signal.  Granted, an aircraft at the far end of the runway is not the easiest to see (depending on visibility conditions).

As for the pax on board... maybe not those on the United flight, but definately those passengers on the left/port side of the plane could clearly see a jumbo-jet speeding at them?!

Offline emd2135

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 09:13:47 PM »
I pretty sure the Atlas Captain was praying as soon as he saw the 737 coming at him.

Offline Tomato

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 03:19:51 PM »
Welcome to LiveATC, emd2135:)

Yeah, I wonder if he pushed the throttle up to atleast try and get out of the way... um.  Wow, still scary!

Offline xnvyflyer

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 12:17:56 AM »
I would have been going nutz as a passenger had I seen that coming.  Just have to sit there and hope for the best.  Look both ways before crossing as best you can.