Author Topic: 22 Oct: Air Canada radio issue while landing at SFO  (Read 3005 times)

Offline sumdog747

22 Oct: Air Canada radio issue while landing at SFO
« on: October 24, 2017, 03:17:33 AM »
Air Canada 871 from Montreal does not communicate with San Francisco tower from the time they are cleared to land till the time they are on the ground. The pilots attribute it to radio problems. Note: From the first attempt to tell Air Canada 871 to go-around, the events occur in real-time.

Offline phil-s

Re: 22 Oct: Air Canada radio issue while landing at SFO
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 10:38:54 PM »
I'd have expected Tower to try on guard freq.  Maybe he didn't because in this one case the go-around wasn't critical?

Offline Rick108

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 12:24:16 PM »
That brings up an interesting question. Do professional pilots typically monitor guard during the landing phase, or just during cruise? As a GA pilot, I usually have guard in the backup radio during cruise. But approaching the destination, once I change it to pick up the weather, I never go back to guard. I don't recall anything from the FAA one way or the other on this, so I was just wondering what the norm is...

Offline phil-s

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 10:41:35 PM »
I've heard JFK use guard to wake up taxiing aircraft. Don't recall if it was ground or tower.