airtraffic

Author Topic: Night landings with ATC COMS - Video  (Read 8436 times)

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
Night landings with ATC COMS - Video
« on: November 23, 2008, 07:59:52 PM »

Landings at HKS Jackson Hawkins field MS.  Video hopefully gives a good perspective on why night flying is a whole experience on it's own. 

In cabin view included in video was my descent checklist into HKS.  As always, camera is secondary and unfortunately what I could see the camera angle did not see and partially cutoff the descent checklist.

Big lesson learned yesterday.  I just figured just to wing over to HKS (been there a million times) and do the touch and go.  What I didn't know was the airport beacon was located to the LEFT of the runway AND far end of the runway. 

I had made the assumption it would have been on the terminal side.  Needless to say, I sure was thankful for the ILS strobes as I would have had that much more difficult time finding the runway!

Lesson learned, study the AFD and all available resources as it is clearly marked at HKS the beacon is on the south ramp.

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
Re: Night landings with ATC COMS - Video
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 08:06:04 PM »
How did you get the audio/atc to record in the video?

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
Re: Night landings with ATC COMS - Video
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 09:21:07 AM »
How did you get the audio/atc to record in the video?

I bought a patch cable from www.aircraftpatchcord.com and also bought a digital recorder.  After the flight, I download the ATC recording from the digital recorder and sync it up with the video.  Total cost was less then $80.00

Syncing is very easy especially for landing, since I can hear the stall horn on the camera so I match the two together.  For enroute, I just talk out a "prompt - camera on" so I know to look for a video within the audio track.

My camera does not have an audio in so I had to go this route, which for me is preferred since I can simulate what it really sounds like in the plane and the ability to hear power changes in the engine especially on my instrument approaches. 

Using the audio in on a video camera, one doesn't get to hear the engine noise.