Author Topic: Night ILS approach with Nav2 problems and Night Flight with ATC COMS - Video  (Read 12433 times)

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
Was safety pilot for an IA student (Dale).  Dale came to my airport and picked me up so we could knock out some hood time for him.

Ran into Nav1 and Nav2 discrepancies as well as Nav2 radio not tuning in frequencies ending with zero. 

Video includes in cockpit quick decision making conversation and Dale requesting to break the approach off.Not sure what the problem ended up being with the Nav radio.

Great workout for the both of us having to change our train of thoughts from one approach to another. 

Last minute of the video are night flying scenes missed by Dale :-))  Night flying at it's best when air is soooo pristine.

kea001

You really should expand your system to a multi-camera setup.

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
You really should expand your system to a multi-camera setup.

I would love to do that, but I just don't want "set up time" to be more then it takes to "preflight" or really delay my fun of flying  :-D

My camera setup is

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8zfYs-YO7tlR-w3ej-A1og?feat=directlink

My camera remains in place with a portfolio.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DJCgtOWHIlXQ7phCXsBMUQ?feat=directlink

As you can see, no fuss, no muss, just put the camera on the glareshield, silde the portfolio forward and off I go.  In cabin or wng views, easy enough to grab the camera, point, shoot and put back in it's place.

As you can see, the camera is just a pocket size camera, old as the hills, but like a timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

The ATC audio is captured on

http://picasaweb.google.com/allenlieberman/AirplanePics#5305666340236727090 

I put tape over the headphone jack so I don't plug into that instead of the red mic in jack.  The other end patches into the aircraft intercom system.

Next time I am safety though with my friend, I do plan to take a second camera, one for the glareshield and one for the instrumentation that I will hand hold and focus on the instrumentation.  Cherokee has that durn center bar going through the front of the windshield, not sure how it will look out the front just yet.

kea001

This guy's got the sharpest aviation videos, taken with a compact camera, that I've come across on Youtube. He's using a Canon Powershot S80 (came out in 2005 I think).

I would expect there would be a newer version however I haven't done the research on it.
You can pick these up on Ebay, used, for about $100 US.

Just for example, this video shows you the top of the line, RED digital camera.
Make sure to click on the red 'HD' symbol, bottom right or else you'll just see your everyday quality video.
The video starts off a little slow. You might want to skip ahead to 1:42 point.

The aspect ratio is pretty striking; 16:9, which I think you can now find on some compact cameras.

Camera and lens cost about $25,000 - $30,000 just to start.
It's being used to shoot professional feature films.

Afghanistan in RED ONE 4K High Definition

Offline englishpilot

This guy's got the sharpest aviation videos, taken with a compact camera, that I've come across on Youtube. He's using a Canon Powershot S80 (came out in 2005 I think).

I would expect there would be a newer version however I haven't done the research on it.

Make sure to click on the red 'HD' symbol, bottom right or else you'll just see your everyday quality video.

The aspect ratio is pretty striking; 16:9, which I think you can now find on some compact cameras.

Yeah, they're bloody good videos as well!

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights

Yeah, they're bloody good videos as well!

Wow, was my reaction, bloody good doesn't say it well enough

kea001

You might appreciate this video, again in HD.
Not specifically aviation but there's a really nice hot air balloon sequence near the end.

American West - True HD

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:06:39 PM by kea001 »