airtraffic

Author Topic: New KJFK Controller? ? ?  (Read 30923 times)

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

Re: New KJFK Controller? ? ?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 05:16:14 PM »
Oh come on TC!!!

Ya we're here to keep things safe and this is definitely a serious business, but if you cant find the time to add or bring a little bit of enjoyment and humor into the equation, then its gonna be a long tiresome work life. 

And...

Ya we are here to separate aircraft, and thats what "Controller Jr." (as i will call him) did!!!  Matter of fact, I'd put up the argument that that was excellent use of all manpower in the tower that day!!!  Controller Jr. was able to help take some of the load and the stress off the main controller, while also keeping perfect transmissions and phraseology!!!   Maybe the FAA should take some notes, rather than get upset and criticize!!!

-NAplaya

Offline Robert Larson

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 05:43:13 PM »
so the controller on duty during the hudson helicopter crash got in trouble for talking to his girlfriend on a landline... but THIS is OK?

As a father of two I can assure that no matter how good the youngster's phraseology, having a "kid at work" does nothing to decrease stress & workload and surely increases both greatly.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 05:57:32 PM by Robert Larson »

Offline Hollis

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 05:54:39 PM »
Technically the little guy would be in violation if he alone was the controller, but since his daddy apparently prompted him as to exactly what to say, he was merely acting as the voice of the actual controller. No harm in that!

Offline atcman23

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 06:25:04 PM »
I respectfully would disagree atcman23. It sounded like the dad was in control the entire time based on the pace of how things were going. It would not surprise me one bit he was controlling when the mic was on or not.

I also noticed the kid was given only two classifications of things to say.

1. clear for take off
2. contact departure

There was even one instance when the dad cleared a Jetblue flight to take off and there was wind information. The dad clearly had control there.

Risks? Not any higher from what I can gather based on the clip.

I think you're disagreeing with someone else's post, not mine.  Unless you're disagreeing with my original post to this topic, in which case you didn't get the joke.

I know what the kid was doing and what he said.  It was obvious he was being told what to say.

Not only that, he had an excellent New York accent.  :-)

TC

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 09:34:53 PM »
Ya we're here to keep things safe and this is definitely a serious business, but if you cant find the time to add or bring a little bit of enjoyment and humor into the equation, then its gonna be a long tiresome work life. 

LOL!  Thanks for the advice; it's much appreciated.  If your profile info is correct, I've been at this career almost as long as you've been alive.  I laugh plenty and I sleep well.  I'd suggest that getting your ass in trouble and being disciplined is actually what can make for a long and tiresome career.  For me, the years have flown by and I've had and have plenty of fun both on the frequency and in the cab.  Just haven't broken the rules and put my paycheck on the line, that's all.